MS ends production of XFLOP

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

no more Xbox consoles will be produced. 2 million Xbox left worldwide,
400k allocated for Europe.

http://www.tinyurl.com/5xko6

Jordan

Beck wrote:
> <herzogzwei@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > no more Xbox consoles will be produced. 2 million Xbox left
worldwide,
> > 400k allocated for Europe.
> >
> > http://www.tinyurl.com/5xko6
>
> It makes sense to not manufacture anymore if shops have plenty. But
I am
> not sure it is a wise decision in the long term. The xbox still has
a good
> few years in it yet. Obviously they will be pushing customers to the
next
> xbox, what will happen to game development for the current xbox?

Hey, at least they aren't trying to sell 10 year old hardware as "new"
(PSOne). All this means is that the new Xbox will be out this year, no
bones about it.

- Jordan

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

<herzogzwei@gmail.com> wrote in message
> no more Xbox consoles will be produced. 2 million Xbox left worldwide,
> 400k allocated for Europe.
>
> http://www.tinyurl.com/5xko6

I'd be surprised if they weren't working on a slimmer, smaller, lighter
model like PS2 did.

beck

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

"Beck" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

> It makes sense to not manufacture anymore if shops have plenty. But I am
> not sure it is a wise decision in the long term. The xbox still has a
good
> few years in it yet. Obviously they will be pushing customers to the next
> xbox, what will happen to game development for the current xbox?

Since the original Xbox has an established user base, and the new Xbox
obviously won't at first, game development for the original Xbox should not
be an issue for a while.

beck

Distinguished
May 24, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

<herzogzwei@gmail.com> wrote in message
> no more Xbox consoles will be produced. 2 million Xbox left worldwide,
> 400k allocated for Europe.
>
> http://www.tinyurl.com/5xko6

Oh hang on, its Spong, I shall await confirmation from better resources :)

herzogzwei@gmail.com wrote:
> no more Xbox consoles will be produced. 2 million Xbox left worldwide,
> 400k allocated for Europe.
>
> http://www.tinyurl.com/5xko6

That says to me that XB2 may be backwards compatible. Either that or a
huge disregard for their valued third parties is on the cards.

In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 Beck <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> It makes sense to not manufacture anymore if shops have plenty. But I am
> not sure it is a wise decision in the long term. The xbox still has a good
> few years in it yet. Obviously they will be pushing customers to the next
> xbox, what will happen to game development for the current xbox?

Plenty?

The shops near my place have zero Xboxs for sale. I'm talking Frys, Best
Buy, EBGames, Toys R Us... Costco had a few bundles last month, so I
bought one (came with KOTOR, extra controller, DVD thingie, and useless
KOTOR guide) The guy at EBGames was stumped why he didn't have any. He
said they were gettting maybe 1 every few weeks - and it was sold before
they got it off the truck. He offered to put me on the waiting list, but
there were 6 others on the list already.

It definitely doesn't seem like there's a shortage of interest to me. And
if they do have 2mil Xboxes laying around, it certainly seems they could
sell a portion of them..?

In alt.games.video.xbox HockeyTownUSA <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote:

> I'd be surprised if they weren't working on a slimmer, smaller, lighter
> model like PS2 did.

I think it's too late for such a thing. Assuming XBox360 launches this
october or so, that'd realistically give Xbox until 4th quarter next year
- at best - before the market is all but dried up. I know PSOnes were
still selling for a long time after PS2 launched, but I think that market
too basically dried up after the PS2 had been out for a year, and hit its
first price drop. Even then, PS2 was backwards compatible, so there was
more of a reason to squeeze out a few last PS1 games. If XBox360 isn't
backwards compatible, most people are just going to buy the new console
which forces them totally ignore the older Xbox games. (Not that this
will be that big of a deal - Xbox360's game lineup so far reads like the
Xbox's current lineup, incremented by 1.)

I also don't think it'd be financially smart to retool and rerelease the
XBox. Wouldn't that require Intel and nVidia to work on redesigning their
chips - both of which are a good 5 years old now? I'm not saying it's
impossible, but given the expense I can't see them being able to save that
much on manufacturing to make it a viable product - unless they don't mind
continuing to lose money on essentially a 5 year old product...

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

<herzogzwei@gmail.com> wrote in message
> no more Xbox consoles will be produced. 2 million Xbox left worldwide,
> 400k allocated for Europe.
>
> http://www.tinyurl.com/5xko6

April fool, bilgefake.

Doug Jacobs wrote:
> Even if XBox360 is backwards compatible,

That will be very tricky considering the X-Box 2 will use a PowerPC. To
accomplish this they will either need some kind of emulation (which is
bound to *not* work, this is MS we're talking about), or include some
Intel hardware. Also, they are ditching the HD, according to all the
rumors (though this may have been confirmed). No, I don't think the XB2
will be backwards compatible, as backwards compatibility was never much
of an issue with them on their PC OSes (some games that worked on 98
does not work on XP, that's crazy).

--

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,,microsoft.public.xbox (More info?)

Jacob Oost:

> they are ditching the HD

It will be optional, an aftermarket add-on.

> some games that worked on 98 does not work on XP, that's crazy

Two different OS's with a similiar interface and similiar name
--
Mac Cool

Jacob Oost wrote:
> Doug Jacobs wrote:
>
>> Even if XBox360 is backwards compatible,
>

> That will be very tricky considering the X-Box 2 will use a PowerPC. To
> accomplish this they will either need some kind of emulation (which is
> bound to *not* work, this is MS we're talking about), or include some
> Intel hardware. Also, they are ditching the HD, according to all the
> rumors (though this may have been confirmed). No, I don't think the XB2
> will be backwards compatible, as backwards compatibility was never much
> of an issue with them on their PC OSes (some games that worked on 98
> does not work on XP, that's crazy).

Then ceasing production of the XB is not a smart move - unless they have
advised game developers of it well in advance.

Mac Cool <Mac@2cool.com> wrote:
> Jacob Oost:

> > they are ditching the HD

> It will be optional, an aftermarket add-on.

> > some games that worked on 98 does not work on XP, that's crazy

> Two different OS's with a similiar interface and similiar name

XP and 98 are quite different though. 98 was little more than a tweak to
95. XP, however, came from the NT side of Microsoft. XP has a lot more
in common with Win2k than 9x/Me.

TRENDING THREADS