Good processor for recording music

drdanger

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
Hello,
Im trying to start a small recording thing to help out a lot of friends i have that are in bands. i want to make it affordable but i also want to make it sounds good. i would really like advice and opinions on supplies i might need. Im currently trying to build a pc but having a bit of trouble finding a processor, if anyone would like to give me ideas i would greatly appreciate it.

From my understanding most of the good audio software is multi-threaded meaning that there is an advantage to using a quad core and maybe even above that. So a processor like the Intel® Core™ i5-2500 or the Intel Core i7-2600 would be good processors for you to be looking at based on your budget. While the processor will help with putting together your tracks to get the best sound quality you are going want to look for a good sound card. On that end I really can't help as I am not an audiophile.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Rusting In Peace

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
The CPU is not going to play a large part here. The CPU will not affect the recording quality at all. It would only help you with format conversion i.e. it would take less time to create an mp3 from your recording. However by less time I'm talking about measurements in seconds not hours. So just pick whatever CPU you like really.

What you should be more focused on is a good sound card as that will affect the quality of your recording.

Alternatively ditch using a PC and pick up a multi track recorder instead.