charger98

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Hello, Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, im new here :) but im looking to build a computer myself and was wondering if these parts are compatible with each other as i have never done this before and would like a computer to play GTA 4, BFBC 2 and so on. Thanks for any help!!

GPU : XFX ATI HD6850 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E

CPU : Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition

Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-880GM-D2H AMD 880G (Socket AM3) Micro-ATX DDR3

PSU : 600W Corsair Builder Series 600CX V2

Hard drive : 64GB Solid State Drive SSD 2.5" SATA

P.S if you helpful people can recommend a case it would be much appreciated. my budget is £500

If you're going to build an AMD system, I would strongly suggest you get a socket AM3+ board with a 900-series chipset. It will support a possibly Bulldozer upgrade, and have current ports and connectors, like USB3 and SATA 6 Gb/s.

Edit: I assume you will also have a standard HDD in this system? Something like a Spinpoint F3 or Seagate Barracuda should be fairly inexpensive.
You may find 64GB to be a bit small. If your budget can stand it, 120GB-128GB or more would let you load a lot more games/apps on it, and be faster as well.

charger98

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
thanks for the help. the board and CPU come together as a bundle. and yes i would get a HDD as well and just use the SSD for gaming. would that board hold me back as far as upgrading will go down the line? only asking because i'd much prefer a bundle where the CPU and mobo come ready to install rather than doing it completely from scratch.

thrakazog

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
The bundle only affects price. Installation will be the same for bundles and separate purchases. So make your decision based on the features of the mobo and cpu.

charger98

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
OK I'll look into getting a separate mobo and cpu. what about a Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 AMD 990X (Socket AM3+) would that work well with a Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition and a HD Radeon 6850. Thanks

charger98

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
that's good news cause that's the most expensive mobo i can buy. how would i know if a case is compatible with those parts?? Im guessing a Gigabyte case is probably the way forward

Mobos are made to standard form factors, like ATX; so any ATX case should accept it. Your chosen GPU is not especially long, so you probably don't need to worry about it brushing up against the hard drive cage.