No, the Xbox has NOT been pulled from retailers

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.live,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

From Major Nelson (Larry), Director of Xbox Live:
There are a few stories floating around this vast thing we call the Internet
today that say the Xbox has been pulled from retailers. Furthermore, people
are saying that we have "reached our targets and want to get ready for the
next console." Let me be perfectly clear: We are NOT pulling the Xbox from
stores. Xbox consoles being in short supply since they are popular and
stopping production are two VERY different issues. Don't believe the
mis-information that is filling your browser/inbox/rss feed. Now, back to
your regularly scheduled rumor-mongering.

http://www.majornelson.com/wp/2005/03/30/no-the-xbox-has-not-been-pulled-from-retailers/
--
Brian Kvalheim
Microsoft Publisher MVP

confers no rights.
26 answers Last reply
More about xbox pulled retailers
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.live,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    Brian Kvalheim [MSFT MVP] wrote:
    > From Major Nelson (Larry), Director of Xbox Live:
    > There are a few stories floating around this vast thing we call the
    > Internet today that say the Xbox has been pulled from retailers.
    > Furthermore, people are saying that we have "reached our targets and
    > want to get ready for the next console." Let me be perfectly clear:
    > We are NOT pulling the Xbox from stores. Xbox consoles being in short
    > supply since they are popular and stopping production are two VERY
    > different issues. Don't believe the mis-information that is filling
    > your browser/inbox/rss feed. Now, back to your regularly scheduled
    > rumor-mongering.
    > http://www.majornelson.com/wp/2005/03/30/no-the-xbox-has-not-been-pulled-from-retailers/

    I would normally honor this statement except for the fact that last week
    there was no more than one box in this city of 150,000 with five Xbox
    vendors locally. Today there are two stores with none. The local Best
    Buy has none and claims not to know when any will be available. This
    "dislocation" is not due to clammoring demand with huge crowds pounding
    down the doors. It's due to a shortage in the supply chain as limited
    inventories are reapportioned. The statement is IMO facetious.

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.live,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    I saw 4 xbox's today at Sears. (Indiana).
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.live,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    Brian Kvalheim [MSFT MVP] wrote:
    > From Major Nelson (Larry), Director of Xbox Live:
    > There are a few stories floating around this vast thing we call the Internet
    > today that say the Xbox has been pulled from retailers. Furthermore, people
    > are saying that we have "reached our targets and want to get ready for the
    > next console." Let me be perfectly clear: We are NOT pulling the Xbox from
    > stores. Xbox consoles being in short supply since they are popular and
    > stopping production are two VERY different issues. Don't believe the
    > mis-information that is filling your browser/inbox/rss feed. Now, back to
    > your regularly scheduled rumor-mongering.
    >
    > http://www.majornelson.com/wp/2005/03/30/no-the-xbox-has-not-been-pulled-from-retailers/

    Most Valuable Player huh? Do they give you a Topps card for that?
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.live,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    theOne wrote:
    || Brian Kvalheim [MSFT MVP] wrote:
    ||| From Major Nelson (Larry), Director of Xbox Live:
    ||| There are a few stories floating around this vast thing we call the
    ||| Internet today that say the Xbox has been pulled from retailers.
    ||| Furthermore, people are saying that we have "reached our targets
    ||| and want to get ready for the next console." Let me be perfectly
    ||| clear: We are NOT pulling the Xbox from stores. Xbox consoles being
    ||| in short supply since they are popular and stopping production are
    ||| two VERY different issues. Don't believe the mis-information that
    ||| is filling your browser/inbox/rss feed. Now, back to your regularly
    ||| scheduled rumor-mongering.
    http://www.majornelson.com/wp/2005/03/30/no-the-xbox-has-not-been-pulled-from-retailers/
    || Most Valuable Player huh? Do they give you a Topps card for that?

    No, they don't. Got some extras?

    --
    Brian Kvalheim
    Microsoft Publisher MVP

    confers no rights.
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.live,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    Brian Kvalheim [MSFT MVP] wrote:
    > theOne wrote:
    > http://www.majornelson.com/wp/2005/03/30/no-the-xbox-has-not-been-pulled-from-retailers/
    > || Most Valuable Player huh? Do they give you a Topps card for that?
    >
    > No, they don't. Got some extras?

    Just my Mickey Mantle rookie, but I'm holding on to that for tangible
    worth when the stock market crashes :)

    Really though.......
    I would think there a low supply of boxes on the market to boost figures
    and retain value; ala "sold out" hype? Just big business tricking the
    naive consumers?
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.live,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    theOne wrote:

    || Really though.......
    || I would think there a low supply of boxes on the market to boost
    || figures and retain value; ala "sold out" hype? Just big business
    || tricking the naive consumers?

    It is indeed "big business". Your hypothesis wouldn't surprise me in the
    least. But the fact remains that Major Nelson, who has an open ended public
    blog, states that these stories are inaccurate. The best information we
    could have is from the horses mouth (Major Nelson). I trust his reply to
    this false rumor.
    --
    Brian Kvalheim
    Microsoft Publisher MVP

    confers no rights.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.live,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    >Really though.......
    >I would think there a low supply of boxes on the market to boost figures
    >and retain value; ala "sold out" hype? Just big business tricking the
    >naive consumers?

    Looks like we have another graduate from the George Bush University of
    Business. You can't get anything past you guys.
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.live,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    theOne <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote:
    >Really though.......
    >I would think there a low supply of boxes on the market to boost figures
    >and retain value; ala "sold out" hype? Just big business tricking the
    >naive consumers?

    Since when does low supply = better figures?

    --
    "Mr. Clarke has told two entirely different stories under oath,"
    - Bill Frist, Mar 26 2004

    In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 Brian Kvalheim [MSFT MVP] <bkvalheim@publishermvps.com> wrote:
    > From Major Nelson (Larry), Director of Xbox Live:
    > There are a few stories floating around this vast thing we call the Internet
    > today that say the Xbox has been pulled from retailers. Furthermore, people
    > are saying that we have "reached our targets and want to get ready for the
    > next console." Let me be perfectly clear: We are NOT pulling the Xbox from
    > stores. Xbox consoles being in short supply since they are popular and
    > stopping production are two VERY different issues. Don't believe the
    > mis-information that is filling your browser/inbox/rss feed. Now, back to
    > your regularly scheduled rumor-mongering.

    > http://www.majornelson.com/wp/2005/03/30/no-the-xbox-has-not-been-pulled-from-retailers/

    Ok, if that's true, why haven't I been seeing Xboxes at the local stores?
    Costco had some in a bundle (which is where I got mine), but the EBGames,
    Toys R Us, Target, Best Buy, Circuit City and Frys have 0 new Xboxs for sale,
    and don't know when they'll be getting more. EBgames said they were getting
    1 every few weeks. It made no sense to him as he was getting a query about
    once a hour for an Xbox. That's quite a few sales lost - not to mention
    sales of accessories and games...

    Online, it's about the same - Amazon, Best Buy online, etc., has none in
    stock.

    Oh, and all of these places have plenty of PS2Slims in stock.

    Being in short supply would imply that there are boxes going to out to
    stores - but from what I can see, that's not entirely true.

    XBox360 may be launching in October, but it's not going to be backwards
    compatible (well, that's the prediction I'm making), and even if it was,
    what about the folks who want an XBox *NOW*?

    Geeze, you would have thought that Microsoft would have capitalized on
    Sony's inability to produce enough units during Christmas, but XBox was
    even rarer at that time. It wasn't until February that I saw the Xboxes
    at Costco.
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.live,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    Andrew Ryan Chang wrote:
    > theOne <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Really though.......
    >>I would think there a low supply of boxes on the market to boost figures
    >>and retain value; ala "sold out" hype? Just big business tricking the
    >>naive consumers?
    >

    > Since when does low supply = better figures?

    higher demand.
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.live,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    Jij wrote:
    >>Really though.......
    >>I would think there a low supply of boxes on the market to boost figures
    >>and retain value; ala "sold out" hype? Just big business tricking the
    >>naive consumers?
    >

    > Looks like we have another graduate from the George Bush University of
    > Business. You can't get anything past you guys.

    wow, ur da coolest. Actually not GBU. Ivy League?
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.xbox,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    Andrew Ryan Chang wrote:
    > Since when does low supply = better figures?

    Since selling at loss...

    Tuomas
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.live,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    Brian Kvalheim [MSFT MVP] wrote:
    > But the fact remains that Major Nelson, who has an open ended public
    > blog, states that these stories are inaccurate.

    That is not true. Nelson has denied an unrelated rumor (of MS actively
    withdrawing Xboxen from stores). He did not comment the actual Spong
    news story (of no more Xboxen being produced).

    So Nelson's reaction would instead make the news story appear more
    credible.

    Tuomas
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.live,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 00:47:16 +0000, Andrew Ryan Chang wrote:

    > theOne <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote:
    >>Really though.......
    >>I would think there a low supply of boxes on the market to boost figures
    >>and retain value; ala "sold out" hype? Just big business tricking the
    >>naive consumers?
    >
    > Since when does low supply = better figures?

    Buy decreasing your supply it is possible to increase price or
    sales in this case. The US pays farmers everyday to not plant to
    keep prices high. Back on topic. If you can simulate a
    high demand from the reality of delivery issues you can give
    people a sense of urgency to purchase. An example is with the PSP.
    If they would have flown off sheleves I would have been at my
    BlockBuster at midnight. but I know there is many out there and
    I have time to see how things progress. I haev no sense of
    urgency to buy right now.
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.live,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    Brian Kvalheim [MSFT MVP] wrote:
    <snip>
    > It is indeed "big business". Your hypothesis wouldn't surprise me in
    > the least. But the fact remains that Major Nelson, who has an open
    > ended public blog, states that these stories are inaccurate. The
    best
    > information we could have is from the horses mouth (Major Nelson). I
    > trust his reply to this false rumor.

    Well, see, most people consider people who work for MS to be lying
    sons of bitches. So they are disinclined to take his word for it.
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.live,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    Hi Jeremy Reaban (trancejeremy@yahoo.com),
    in the newsgroups
    you posted:

    || Brian Kvalheim [MSFT MVP] wrote:
    || <snip>
    ||| It is indeed "big business". Your hypothesis wouldn't surprise me in
    ||| the least. But the fact remains that Major Nelson, who has an open
    ||| ended public blog, states that these stories are inaccurate. The
    ||| best information we could have is from the horses mouth (Major
    ||| Nelson). I trust his reply to this false rumor.
    || Well, see, most people consider people who work for MS to be lying
    || sons of bitches. So they are disinclined to take his word for it.

    Wow! That is unfortunate that you would think that way. A VERY good friend
    of mine that worked for MS up until this past year as a beta supportability
    manager was recently diagosed with cancer, and has been only given a few
    month to live, even with chemotherapy. I have known him for almost 10 years,
    and he has a loving son and daughter who he treats very well. He also has a
    side business in making glass art that is sold through differenet catalogs.
    A very successful person who has done many things for me, his family, his
    coworkers and the customers of Microsoft for which his product was focused
    (Microsoft Publisher).

    Unfortunately, he hasn't much time left, but he has been traveling abroad to
    see family and friends before he passes. I can't think of a single person
    who has ever thought or said that Rich (age 39) is a lying s.o.b. He has
    been one of the warmest friends I have met. Why would you make such a
    blanket statement? That is horrible.

    --
    Brian Kvalheim
    Microsoft Publisher MVP

    confers no rights.
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.live,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    "Jeremy Reaban" <trancejeremy@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > Well, see, most people consider people who work for MS to be lying
    > sons of bitches. So they are disinclined to take his word for it.

    The same can be said about everyone who uses usenet, the difference being is
    that in the case of usenet it tends to be true...
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.live,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    theOne <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote:
    >Andrew Ryan Chang wrote:
    >> theOne <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Really though.......
    >>>I would think there a low supply of boxes on the market to boost figures
    >>>and retain value; ala "sold out" hype? Just big business tricking the
    >>>naive consumers?
    >>
    >> Since when does low supply = better figures?
    >>
    >higher demand.

    In itself, no, it just changes the supply-demand ratio. But since
    MS isn't going to jack up XBox prices, changing the ratio that way is no
    good. OTOH, if there was no shortage, then a rumour of a shortage might
    push up demand while keeping supply steady. But that's not happening
    either, since retailers are actually reporting shortages.

    As for taking a loss on units, is that true? It'd be sad if tech
    4 years old is still selling at a loss for MS, even considering the price
    cuts made along the way.

    --
    Wiggum: No. We need to find out who it belonged to. We want a DNA test.
    DNA guy: Ooh, ooh, ee, ooh, ooh, that takes, uh, eight to ten weeks.

    Andrew Ryan Chang wrote:
    > theOne <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Andrew Ryan Chang wrote:

    >>> Since when does low supply = better figures?
    >>>

    >>higher demand.
    >

    > In itself, no, it just changes the supply-demand ratio. But since
    > MS isn't going to jack up XBox prices, changing the ratio that way is no
    > good. OTOH, if there was no shortage, then a rumour of a shortage might
    > push up demand while keeping supply steady. But that's not happening
    > either, since retailers are actually reporting shortages.

    I thought they might want to boost sales in a different quarter by using
    this tactic. I mean, if no retailers are reporting shortages, there
    wouldn't be a shortage craze and we wouldn't be having this
    conversation. Anyways, I see your point; I just find it hard to
    recognize an actual shortage of the ubiquitous box.

    > As for taking a loss on units, is that true? It'd be sad if tech
    > 4 years old is still selling at a loss for MS, even considering the price
    > cuts made along the way.

    They (MS Xbox Reps, don't know the particular names) reported earlier in
    the life cycle that there would be no *expected* profit gain in the
    Xbox. I don't know if that's changed but I doubt it considering piracy,
    somewhate lackluster software developers, and 2nd place market share to
    PS2. Just going by what I heard on the news, I don't know any of the
    actual numbers. Certainly they are making some bank of Xbox Live.
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.live,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    Brian Kvalheim [MSFT MVP] wrote:
    > Hi Jeremy Reaban (trancejeremy@yahoo.com),
    > in the newsgroups
    > you posted:
    >
    > || Brian Kvalheim [MSFT MVP] wrote:
    > || <snip>
    > || Well, see, most people consider people who work for MS to be lying
    > || sons of bitches. So they are disinclined to take his word for it.
    >
    > Wow! That is unfortunate that you would think that way. A VERY good friend
    > of mine that worked for MS up until this past year as a beta supportability
    > manager was recently diagosed with cancer, and has been only given a few
    > month to live, even with chemotherapy. I have known him for almost 10 years,
    > and he has a loving son and daughter who he treats very well. He also has a
    > side business in making glass art that is sold through differenet catalogs.
    > A very successful person who has done many things for me, his family, his
    > coworkers and the customers of Microsoft for which his product was focused
    > (Microsoft Publisher).
    >
    > Unfortunately, he hasn't much time left, but he has been traveling abroad to
    > see family and friends before he passes. I can't think of a single person
    > who has ever thought or said that Rich (age 39) is a lying s.o.b. He has
    > been one of the warmest friends I have met. Why would you make such a
    > blanket statement? That is horrible.

    If indeed this story of your dear friend is true, why would you dignify
    any response like that with a reply? Sniff...sniff.....you smell like
    one of those "agenda pressing" political blogger types.
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.live,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    People pass every day. Unfortunately some of the very good ones go too
    soon, while others who have nothing better to do than complain hang around.
    8-) Follow the link in my signature line to one of the best examples of a
    man who shared his knowledge and information freely, never asking anything
    in return.
    In memory of a true friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol

    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    Associate Expert

    "theOne" <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
    > Brian Kvalheim [MSFT MVP] wrote:
    >> Hi Jeremy Reaban (trancejeremy@yahoo.com),
    >> in the newsgroups
    >> you posted:

    >> Wow! That is unfortunate that you would think that way. A VERY good
    >> friend of mine that worked for MS up until this past year as a beta
    >> supportability manager was recently diagosed with cancer, and has been
    >> only given a few month to live, even with chemotherapy. I have known him
    >> for almost 10 years, and he has a loving son and daughter who he treats
    >> very well. He also has a side business in making glass art that is sold
    >> through differenet catalogs. A very successful person who has done many
    >> things for me, his family, his coworkers and the customers of Microsoft
    >> for which his product was focused (Microsoft Publisher).
    >>
    >> Unfortunately, he hasn't much time left, but he has been traveling abroad
    >> to see family and friends before he passes. I can't think of a single
    >> person who has ever thought or said that Rich (age 39) is a lying s.o.b.
    >> He has been one of the warmest friends I have met. Why would you make
    >> such a blanket statement? That is horrible.
    >>
    > If indeed this story of your dear friend is true, why would you dignify
    > any response like that with a reply? Sniff...sniff.....you smell like one
    > of those "agenda pressing" political blogger types.
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.live,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    theOne wrote:
    || If indeed this story of your dear friend is true, why would you
    || dignify any response like that with a reply?

    Yup, it's true. Just call Microsoft and ask for the Publisher building and
    feel free to inquire. I have nothing to hide. Nor did he.

    || Sniff...sniff.....you
    || smell like one of those "agenda pressing" political blogger types.

    Nope. Just stating the truth. Why on earth would someone say that about
    someone when it's not true?
    --
    Brian Kvalheim
    Microsoft Publisher MVP

    confers no rights.
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.live,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    "xTenn" <xTennRemovePart@tds.net> wrote in message news:%

    > > Well, see, most people consider people who work for MS to be lying
    > > sons of bitches. So they are disinclined to take his word for it.
    > >

    > The same can be said about everyone who uses usenet, the difference being
    is
    > that in the case of usenet it tends to be true...

    Liar!
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.live,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    "croaker68" <croaker68@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I saw 4 xbox's today at Sears. (Indiana).

    Those are probably launch boxes with the Duke controller. Nobody knew they
    were there until now - you're the first non-octogenarian to venture beyond
    tools/appliances since 11/15/2001. Say hi to my granny if you see her
    wandering aimlessly looking for her favorite slippers that they haven't sold
    since JFK was President.
  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox.live,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

    Andrew Ryan Chang <archang@sfu.ca> wrote:
    > As for taking a loss on units, is that true? It'd be sad if tech
    >4 years old is still selling at a loss for MS, even considering the price
    >cuts made along the way.

    Sigh. The latest OXM has a Keighley piece that says the strongly
    believed rumour is that MS loses $57 per XBox at the $149 price point.
    Ouch.

    --
    "_The Calendar._ Each week has seven days, known as: Sand Day, Mud Day,
    Grues Day, Wands Day, Birthday, Frob [tm] Day, Star Day. Frob day is actually

    On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 00:15:30 +0000 (UTC), archang@sfu.ca (Andrew Ryan Chang)
    wrote:
    >Andrew Ryan Chang <archang@sfu.ca> wrote:
    >> As for taking a loss on units, is that true? It'd be sad if tech
    >>4 years old is still selling at a loss for MS, even considering the price
    >>cuts made along the way.
    >
    > Sigh. The latest OXM has a Keighley piece that says the strongly
    >believed rumour is that MS loses $57 per XBox at the $149 price point.
    >Ouch.

    They have to match the selling price of older technology though. That's
    why Sony started out selling the PSP in Japan at a $250 loss per sale, to
    compete with the older and the less expensive Nintendo GBA and DS units. And
    Microsoft doing that with the XBox is why their sales didn't lag much further
    behind the already well established PS2, from its first price drop on.

    --
    I've gone to look for myself. If I should get back before I return, keep me here!

Console Gaming Games Xbox Live Video Microsoft Xbox Video Games Product