Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

UPGRADE ADVICE

Tags:
  • Prebuilt
  • DDR2
  • Socket
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Share
August 31, 2011 8:44:50 PM

Hey guys,

I am looking for some help on upgrading mi system.

It stands as follows:

ASUS Crosshair mobo (AM2+ socket; ddr2 ram)

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Black edition

Geforce 8800 gtx

4gb ddr2 800


Is there room to upgrade the processor? maybe trying an AM3 socket? or a Phenom X4 9850?

What would be the proper upgrade at GPU? GTX560? ? or Ati? or other?

Thanks

DLI







More about : upgrade advice

August 31, 2011 8:49:51 PM

DLINAT said:
Hey guys,

I am looking for some help on upgrading mi system.

It stands as follows:

ASUS Crosshair mobo (AM2+ socket; ddr2 ram)

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Black edition

Geforce 8800 gtx

4gb ddr2 800


Is there room to upgrade the processor? maybe trying an AM3 socket? or a Phenom X4 9850?

What would be the proper upgrade at GPU? GTX560? ? or Ati? or other?

Thanks

DLI


Have a look at Asus's web page for your motherboard , and look for the list of compatible processors . If its AM2+ it should support modern Phenom ll processors .
The 955 X4 , maybe , depending on budget

Not worth using an x4 9850 . This cpu has a fault in it that nearly bankrupted AMD because they were so bad

So long as your power supply is up to it theres no reason to not add a 6850 or 560 .
m
0
l
September 1, 2011 12:11:49 AM

Outlander_04 said:
Have a look at Asus's web page for your motherboard , and look for the list of compatible processors . If its AM2+ it should support modern Phenom ll processors .
The 955 X4 , maybe , depending on budget

Not worth using an x4 9850 . This cpu has a fault in it that nearly bankrupted AMD because they were so bad

So long as your power supply is up to it theres no reason to not add a 6850 or 560 .



Outlander,

Thanks for the response,

I checked Asus for the motherboard, and indeed it says "AMD Socket AM2+ / AM2 Processors"

here is the link: http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM2/CROSSHAIR/#spe...

would you recommend maybe a Phenom II x4 970 or even a 980?

As for the GPU, i am not at home, but pretty certain i have 750W PSU.

Again thanks for the advice!

DLI

m
0
l
Related resources
September 1, 2011 12:21:05 AM

I just checked the cpu support list , on the page you linked

It llooks like it cant handle a phenom ll
[ 955 , 965, etc ]
Its hard to recommend upgrading at all .
Replacement of cpu/mb/RAM could be your best option depending on budget
m
0
l
September 1, 2011 1:12:00 AM

Thanks again for the quick response.

I,ll definatley explore the all the options.

As its looking more and more towards replacing.

Thanks for all the help

DLI

m
0
l
September 1, 2011 9:29:27 AM

DLINAT said:
Thanks again for the quick response.

I,ll definatley explore the all the options.

As its looking more and more towards replacing.

Thanks for all the help

DLI


If you just upgrade your motherboard to something contemporary (budget withstanding) you could use a modern AMD CPU.
m
0
l
September 1, 2011 2:42:47 PM

halcyon,

Thanks for the advise, will definatly look into it.

DLI

m
0
l
September 1, 2011 10:06:06 PM

DLINAT said:
halcyon,

Thanks for the advise, will definatly look into it.

DLI


;) 
m
0
l
!