Is it ok to daisy chain one or two psu extension cables?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mc_conor

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
Are these extension cables safe to use? Will they cause any issues with voltage regulation?

Here is an example of one :

41QufBsA4sL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Thanks

The problem isn't voltage regulation, it's voltage loss.

Depending on the quality of the connections and connectors there will be resistance introduced within the connector junction that may cause a voltage drop especially for devices that have a high current draw like graphics cards.

If the connection at the junction isn't good there will be enough heat generated by the increased resistance to melt the connector and cause a short circuit.

One long cable is always better than daisy chaining shorter cables.

mc_conor

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
Thanks for the info, the problem is that my 8 pin connection to the motherboard is slightly too short, as the PSU is bottom mounted and the mobo 8pin connection is at the top.

The PSU is fully modular. Is there anywhere that it is possible to buy a longer cable? I cannot find anywhere on the internet that does.

You can't because you posted this as a discussion instead of a question.

If the 8-pin EPS cable extender is of high quality then give it a try but never use more than one extender along that cable.

mc_conor

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
Ok no problem i'll try and get the best quality extension then. Thanks for the help, gave u a thumbs up as i can't use best answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.