Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Have ENGTX550TI Questions about sli or just better card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 29, 2011 8:22:46 PM

just a quick question... im new to forums and building comps and all that so go easy

i need an honest opinion because one way will cost me $50 bucks or so and the other will cost $150

my Asus gtx 550 ti is running stable at an OC of 1050

and is producing 60fps intermiditnley in bfbc2 on max settings (it will sumtimes drop to 40 when alot of stuff is goin on)

62 FPS on SC2 max settings but when a big battle goes on drops to 40 or 45

temps are stayin steady at 55*C using only 60% fan power

I can not OC any further as it results in a crash

so to get that constant 60 FPS should i SLI Another or send it back and get a bit of a better card

if SLI someone plz explain the pros and cons

IF another card anyone have suggestions?

also the current card i have has 192 proc cores and i OC @ 1050 HZ would a card that has 330 cores at 900 hz have better perfomance

for example what would give the best perfomance outa this lot?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...

Someone plz explain!!

Best solution

a c 592 U Graphics card
June 29, 2011 8:44:49 PM

It sounds like you are very near to hitting a sweet spot in terms of maximum performance (~60 fps). I would go for the second 550 in SLI to really make sure you hit that performance level consistently. The SLI'ed 550's will be faster than any of the single cards you listed in that link, and would be the cheapest upgrade path. You would really need to make a more expensive jump to a 570 or 580 for the single card upgrade to make sense over SLI'ed 550's. But that would be even more expensive.

SLI is pretty stable these days with the latest Nvidia drivers that automatically download updated game profiles for you. The 550's, even overclocked as you have shown will be cool and quiet even in a dual card setup. You just need to make sure that your motherboard supports SLI, that you have the necessary bridge cable, and that your power supply is enough to handle the extra card.
June 29, 2011 8:47:36 PM

Best answer selected by CaPiPwNsKi.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
June 29, 2011 8:50:57 PM

SLi may lack support for recently released games though nvidia is very good about this. It usually draws more power compared to a single more powerful card but not always the case. You should still look up the power draw to make sure your PSU can handle it.

The main advantage of SLi and crossfire for lower end cards is the ability to buy one now and to upgrade later. If you're buying new 2 GTX 550 Tis will cost about the same as a GTX 560 Ti which would be a better choice in that case.
m
l
June 29, 2011 8:57:51 PM

quick question if your board is crossfire compatible soes that mean an sli will work?
m
l
June 29, 2011 9:05:13 PM

17seconds said:
It sounds like you are very near to hitting a sweet spot in terms of maximum performance (~60 fps). I would go for the second 550 in SLI to really make sure you hit that performance level consistently. The SLI'ed 550's will be faster than any of the single cards you listed in that link, and would be the cheapest upgrade path. You would really need to make a more expensive jump to a 570 or 580 for the single card upgrade to make sense over SLI'ed 550's. But that would be even more expensive.

SLI is pretty stable these days with the latest Nvidia drivers that automatically download updated game profiles for you. The 550's, even overclocked as you have shown will be cool and quiet even in a dual card setup. You just need to make sure that your motherboard supports SLI, that you have the necessary bridge cable, and that your power supply is enough to handle the extra card.

Awesome info but quick question bottom line would the ENGTX560 seen here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

have a performance advatage with things such as
336 Processing cores instead of 192 for the 550
and 256 mem interface instead of 192 bit for 550

does that out way the lower factory core clock?
m
l
a c 592 U Graphics card
June 29, 2011 9:18:08 PM

550's in SLI is closer to a GTX 570 than a 560. Positive percentages are games that favor the 550's in SLI (click below for a larger image).

Make sure your board actually says it is SLI certified. Being Crossfire capable is not the same thing. If it is not SLI capable, then the GTX 560 Ti is the way to go.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphics/display/gefor...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 29, 2011 9:21:29 PM

You can roughly add the cores together as well as the memory bandwidth. The VRAM will not double. I say roughly because there is the inevitable inefficiency of SLi.
m
l
a c 592 U Graphics card
June 29, 2011 9:24:32 PM

If you are unable to SLI, prices have come down on the GTX 570, so you may be able to get one of those for the same price as two 550's.
m
l
June 29, 2011 10:08:00 PM

alrighty one final question

i have one day to return this card... and if my board is only crossfire compatible do u think i should return the nvidia and go with a radeon?

and if so whats comprable to the 550 560 570

remember im constrained by at pci express 2.0 slot
m
l
a c 592 U Graphics card
June 29, 2011 10:43:54 PM

CaPiPwNsKi said:
alrighty one final question

i have one day to return this card... and if my board is only crossfire compatible do u think i should return the nvidia and go with a radeon?

and if so whats comprable to the 550 560 570

remember im constrained by at pci express 2.0 slot

This is my own personal opinion, but there is no real reason to go with a Radeon if you are considering a single card. There are no real performance benefits either way, and you lose things like PhysX and, some would say, the better Nvidia drivers. For this latest generation, the Nvidia 500 series has proven to be a little cooler and quieter than the 6900 series Radeons, and are known to be good overclockers with better scaling when overclocking. The 560's, both Ti and non-Ti overclock like mad, and hit high-end performance levels when overclocked.

If you cannot do SLI (what motherboard do you have?), then just pick the single most powerful card that fits within your budget. Just think, you are already almost hitting 60 fps consistently with a single 550, so anything above that, including the 560 non-Ti will work great.

560 = 6870
560 Ti = 6950
570 = 6970
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 30, 2011 12:26:42 AM

^ I gotta say that I totally agree with Matto, this simple fact is that the man knows what he is talking about and speaks the truth! +1,000
m
l
!