Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can you replace the motherboards in a HP Desktop Computer?

Last response: in Motherboards
September 6, 2012 10:15:34 AM

Hi guys,

My current computer is a HP Compaq CQ3430AN Model.

This is the full product specifications:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Docume...

I'm planning to replace the motherboard with a GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-D3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...).

I know that both the motherboard in my current computer and the above motherboard are micro ATX, but I've heard somewhere that some HP computers might have a design that make only their motherboards suitable? I was wondering if it was true and that I'd be required to buy a new case.

Also the specifications for my current computer says its running off a 250W PSU. Would I need a new one supporting 600-650W if I plan on buying the above motherboard and putting an i5-3570k and GTX 560 on it? If so, do all PSU's have the same size? (Any recommendations would be awesome too :) )

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
September 6, 2012 10:25:42 AM

it says its a micro-atx board so it any standard micro-atc board will fit. what you need to look for is if your case uses standard front panel connections or some proprietary connections. I know for a fact dell and I think HP used proprietary ones up until ~2007, they might have changed their ways since then but I haven't looked inside one of their computers since ~2007.

what I am referring to as standard connections

get plugged in here

proprietary connection, dell uses/used something like this

so basically if you don't see any cables like the first pic, any motherboard besides an HP is not going to work.
September 6, 2012 10:32:48 AM

Okay I'll open it up and check it out soon. If I don't see any cables like the first pic, can I just get a new case and reuse the same hard drives etc?
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
September 6, 2012 10:35:55 AM

yes
September 6, 2012 1:17:44 PM

Best answer selected by jcho7913.
September 6, 2012 1:20:22 PM

Haha it turns out my HP one proprietary :(  But I opened up my old computer that used Intel Duo 2 Core and its like the one you showed in the first two images. Thanks again for the replies flank, really appreciate it!
!