Need good processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mouseq

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
I have the ASUS M4A785-M motherboard and I am looking for a good processor that this board will support with bios 0906

Help anyone?? Also trying to find a good sata 2 hard drive since mine is going out need to find one preferably bigger than the 160gb i have now..

can anyone help me with some ideas??

hitachi 160gb sata2 drive

amd athlon 2650e

4gb ddr2 ram

zotac ion 512mb graphics card
i built it a couple months ago

i'm not much on gaming but i do have a few games i like to play

Your mobo is socket AM3. The 2650e CPU you have now was built for low energy use, not performance. Any current AM3 CPU would run rings around it. Your Ion GPU is going to sharply limit your ability to play modern games anyway. For less than $200, an Athlon II X3 (e.g. a 450) and a HD6670 would offer a huge improvement. If you want more, tell us about your PSU (brand and model, not just wattage) so we can tell if it will need to be replaced in order to run a more powerful GPU.

popatim

Titan
This isn't a good time to be buying harddrives...prices are way up due to a flood in thailand.

Best deal right now ifor a new drive s a staples coupon for $90 off an external 1.5TB drive (final price is $80) and then you would take the drive out of the external enclosure and install it in your pc. Otherwise you're just about stuck with going used.

mouseq

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011

I am replacing the psu because the fan is starting to make noise and was already told replacing it would be the best idea..this is my first build...

this is the psu i have bought Thermaltake TPG-650M Toughpower Grand GOLD 650W ATX 12V V2.3 / EPS 12V 2.92 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

mouseq

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011

I'm not going to buy an external drive just to take the chance that it is not what i need

mouseq

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011

Well this computer is my first build and i used the hard drive out of my old one it was running non stop just about for three years but i want to replace it because it is starting to get bad sectors and even lost the boot manager once already had to re-install windows to fix that

mouseq

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011

well mine is sata 2 3Gb/s and i really don't want to go with a recertified

Status
Not open for further replies.