USB detection issue

jammy247

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
Hi Guys,

Ive searched the site, and cannot find a thread with the exact problem im having. Im not a techie, but can just about get by, so please be gentle.

Im guessing my MB may be about fried?

I have just formatted, and re-installed my HD after the blue screen of death.
Now when i kick my PC up, my mouse, keyboard, usb devices are dead.
If i however, say, unplug the mouse and connect it back in, windows detects it and it runs fine.
Also if i then restart windows, all the usbs are detected and everything runs fine.
But from a cold start, all the ports do not work.

Ive checked in my bios, and all the usbs are enabled. Legacy is enabled.

Specs...
Amd athlon 64 x 2dual
Scocket am2
core processor 5000+
2.60ghz
4gb ram
2tb hd
Windows xp sp3

Any help would be gratefully appreciated

cheers

david

jammy247

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
Hey pal,

Thanks for the reply.

Its not anything that obvious im afraid. Ive tested the mouse/keyboard etc on a separate PC.

Plus, the point that makes this issue slightly different to the other USB threads ive seen on here is the fact i can disconnect the said hardware, connect it again, and its detected, and work fine?!

jammy247

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
No mate, they are plug and play and worked without any problems before.

I can plug them into any other PC and they work fine.

Update:
I am thinking i do have a large problem. It has just crashed when in safe mode, I error reported:-

Stop (blue screen) error caused by a device or driver

You received this message because a hardware device, its driver, or related software has caused a stop error, also called a blue screen error. This type of error means the computer has shut down abruptly to protect itself from potential data corruption or loss. In this case, we were unable to detect the specific device or driver that caused the problem.

The following troubleshooting steps might prevent the stop error from recurring. Try them in the order given. If one step does not solve the problem, then move on to the next one.
Steps to solve this problem

Download and install the latest updates and device drivers for your computer

Scan your computer for viruses

Check your hard disk for errors
Steps to work around this problem

Warning
These steps are designed to address a particular problem but might do so by temporarily disabling or removing some functionality on your computer.

Remove any new hardware or software to isolate the cause of the blue screen

Restore your computer to an earlier state

Advanced troubleshooting

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador

jammy247

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012

Thanks scout_03

Im going check the disc for errors now, this is what "whocrashed" informed me.

System Information (local)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

windows version: Windows XP Service Pack 3, 5.1, build: 2600
windows dir: C:\WINDOWS
CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ AMD586, level: 15
2 logical processors, active mask: 3
RAM: 3488985088 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 2041827328

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Thu 9/6/2012 11:30:40 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini090612-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal+0x291A)
Bugcheck code: 0xB8 (0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: ATTEMPTED_SWITCH_FROM_DPC
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\hal.dll
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Bug check description: This indicates that an illegal operation was attempted by a delayed procedure call (DPC) routine.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 9/3/2012 3:54:27 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini090212-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x60C95)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000000A (0xFFFFFFFF9CA5A000, 0x1C, 0x1, 0xFFFFFFFF80537C95)
Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

Conclusion

2 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. No offending third party drivers have been found. Consider configuring your system to produce a full memory dump for better analysis.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

jammy247

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012

Ok, considering taking a claw hammer to it now.

Ive ran an offline antivirus scan - no issues
Malwarebytes - no issues
Windows update - Nothing needed.
Chkdsk- no issues
I ran MSI liveupdate, which installed a couple of bits.

From a cold start this morning the USB's were still not detecting, until i unplugged and then re-connected.

Live update gave me Nvidia 15.56, which i also installed this morning. On restart, the computer wouldnt boot into windows. it was crashing and restarting even in safe mode, before windows opened.
The only way i could get windows to load is using the "use last known configuration that worked"

:cry:

jammy247

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
Apologies for double post, i cant seem to edit the above?

Something else strange, is that last night whilst having problems i attempted a system restore. But all my restore points seem to have disappeared, which is odd, as i know ive added at least half a dozen over the past couple of days.