Sign in with
Your question

CPU fan too big for motherboard!

Last response: in Components
November 30, 2011 6:03:57 PM

Hi, This is my 1st build and eveything has gone well so far, well as 1st builds go.
I have got the pc up and running, boots ubuntu off disc still waiting for hard drive. so far so good. but there are 2 things i would like to aks I purchased a Arctic freezer fan pro 7 but it looked too big for the mother board the ram card got in the way so i had to install the stock fan cpu temp 42 deg c is this ok? or do i need a bigger fan? or can i still use the Arctic pro? Here is my rig.

*ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3
*AMD HDZ965FBGMBOX Phenom II X4 965 - 3.4 Ghz AM3 Black Edition CPU
*Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1333MHz CL9 8GB DIMM Memory Module
*Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 CPU Cooler
*OCZ 600W ModXStream Pro Power Supply
*Asus DRW-24B3ST SATA Internal 24X DVD±RW Drive
*Crucial 128GB m4 SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Solid State Drive
Went for the SSD as the 3.5 inch are a bit pricey now.
Thanks in advance
Gary (almost a geek)
November 30, 2011 6:54:19 PM

Is your case too small?
November 30, 2011 7:01:23 PM

No the case is plenty big enough, the fan guard on the arctic pro hits the ram card
Related resources
November 30, 2011 7:38:47 PM

Some coolers are a bit too big for certain motherboards, especially microATX boards, it depends on how close the DIMM slots are to the CPU. In your case it looks like your cooler will only be able mount properly if you use low profile RAM sticks. You have okay temps for the stock cooler, if you want an aftermarket cooler you may have to look at something a smaller cooler. Looking at a picture of your board the CPU socket is really close to the DIMM slots, so that is going to limit your options. If your RAM isn't too tall (doesn't have giant heat spreaders) you might be able to fit something like the Cooler Master Hyper N520. It performs well and isn't too big, it should be able to fit over a standard sized DIMM populating the first slot.
November 30, 2011 11:43:37 PM

Just move your ram to the outter banks and use your aftermarket cooler.
edit - a single stick can go into any ram slot.
two sticks need to be in a1/b1 or a2/b2 for dual channel to work other wise it will work the ram in single channel mode if you have it something like b1/b2.
December 2, 2011 4:44:50 PM

OK it looks like i might have to get a slightly smaller cooler fan, i moved the ram over too a2/b2 slots which give me another 5mm or so, so Imight at some time try to fit it again but for now i will see how the stock fan performs. many thanks for your help. gary.
ps im going to install winows 7 on my new build tonight do have any tips?
!