Closed

Can this PSU power an HD 6950?

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • HD
  • Components
Last response: in Components
November 30, 2011 6:25:14 PM

Let me start by saying that I am relatively new to building computers and I built my first one about 7 months ago.

I have this PSU in the link below and I am wondering if it will be okay to use with an HD 6950 video card if I decide to upgrade.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I've done a little searching around and have found that Rosewill PSU's are apparently not very good (I wish I would have known that before). I haven't had any problems with mine so far (knock on wood), but I'm worried that if I upgrade my graphics card to more a high end one, that I'll fry my whole system or something.

Let me know what you think.

More about : psu power 6950

November 30, 2011 6:38:01 PM

To run the 6950 AMD recommends at least a 500 watt powersupply (for all components not just video card!)

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Rosewill-Perform...

That is a review that looks at your specific power supply, and you are right, it is a little disconcerting, they almost explicity state it can't run at its peak rated power. However, I doubt this is an issue and unless you are doing some serious overclocking, you should be fine with a 6950.

In the future though, don't skimp on a power supply, skimp on a motherboard, a processor, supported RAM, anything but a powersupply!
Score
November 30, 2011 6:41:30 PM

Welve said:
To run the 6950 AMD recommends at least a 500 watt powersupply (for all components not just video card!)

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Rosewill-Perform...

That is a review that looks at your specific power supply, and you are right, it is a little disconcerting, they almost explicity state it can't run at its peak rated power. However, I doubt this is an issue and unless you are doing some serious overclocking, you should be fine with a 6950.

In the future though, don't skimp on a power supply, skimp on a motherboard, a processor, supported RAM, anything but a powersupply!

Yes, I am realizing that now! I think I'll go ahead and upgrade to the 6950, knowing that I'll probably be upgrading the PSU in the not to distant future as well.

Thanks for your quick response!
Score
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
November 30, 2011 7:02:47 PM

Sure, not a problem, hardwaresecrets is a good source for power supply reviews. They open them up and test them under extreme conditions and give an honest opinions, I bought my powersupply based on their review and I am very satisfied :) 
Score

Best solution

a c 1669 ) Power supply
November 30, 2011 8:06:02 PM

The Hardware Secrets link, that @Welve provided, is not the same model (i.e. RP650-2) power supply as the model that you have (i.e. RP600V2-S-SL).

For a system running with a single Radeon HD 6950 a minimum 500 Watt or greater power supply with a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 26 Amps or greater and with at least two 6-pin PCI-Express Supplementary Power Connectors is recommended.

Your Rosewill Performance Series 600W (RP600V2-S-SL), with its claimed combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 35 Amps and one 6-pin and one 6+2-pin PCI-Express Supplementary Power Connectors is theoretically sufficient.

I highly doubt that the RP600V2-S-SL is able to deliver any more than 28 Amps on the combined +12 Volt rails. It should still be able to power your system with a single Radeon HD 6950 but I wouldn't consider that power supply to be reliable unit.
November 30, 2011 8:20:37 PM

Thank you for pointing that out ko888. It sounds like I should be looking to upgrade the power supply if I want to be safe.

What is the worst that could happen if I give my current power supply a shot and it doesn't work? Would I be risking damaging my computer components?

Thanks for the response.
Score
a c 1669 ) Power supply
November 30, 2011 8:34:44 PM

mikebjr86 said:
Thank you for pointing that out ko888. It sounds like I should be looking to upgrade the power supply if I want to be safe.

What is the worst that could happen if I give my current power supply a shot and it doesn't work? Would I be risking damaging my computer components?

Thanks for the response.

It might fail quietly within a few minutes with no visible signs of failure. But it could also fail catastrophically with sparks and take out the components that are attached to it.

I would say the quiet failure is the more likely scenario since that power supply unit has protection circuits (i.e. Over Current/Voltage/Power Protection, Under Voltage Protection, and Short Circuit Protection) built into it.
Score
a b ) Power supply
November 30, 2011 8:56:46 PM

yea, the rosewills aren't the greatest and multi rail supplies are a marketing trick. if its the only thing on its rail and your not overclocking it should be OK. Max draw is 200 Watts.

as for them failing... I did blow out a rosewill while running 2 4850s and maxing the CPU and gpus... but I was over the current limit and nothing got damaged...
Score
December 1, 2011 12:10:36 AM

Thanks for the help. This information has been very helpful.
Score
December 8, 2011 1:49:14 PM

Best answer selected by mikebjr86.
Score