Direct x 11 ompliant video cards

woebegong

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
I am looking for a pretty cheap price wise, direct x 11 comliant video card with at least 2 gb's on board.
Any suggestionsd out there?

woebegong

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
It says it must be AMD Phenom Black edition or higher 2gb direct x 11 video card. I admit I am a rookie when it comes to knowledge about the new video boards out there. I am hoping I can work with this new CG program I have, so thought I would give it a go and see what cards were out there. When I started seeing prices anywhere from $400 to $1500, I thought I had better seek out some expert advice. I will not be using it for games so I am not about the speed being super fast or anything on refresh rate.

woebegong

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Ok, here is exactly what the program says are minimum requirements for the program. Hardware Mimimum requirements:

Intel pentium 4 or higher , AMD opteron
2 GB ram
1 GB ram
three button mouse

Hardware recommend System:
intel core 17 or higher, AMD Phenom black edition or higher
2gb direct x 11 compliant video card

I have a AMD athlon 11 x2 235e duel core processor
6 GBs of ram
Nvidia get force 6150se integrated card which is not x11 compliant.

When I run the program, it tells me I need the direct x 11 video card.

So looks like you don't "need" a 2 gig card, that's recommended specs. You probably also want a pro level card like a Quadro or a FireGL. You have a good RAM amount for rendering (as long as you have a 64 bit system, the CPU could use a bit of an upgrade, and for a card, you'll need to spend $200+ if you want to set up the computer to run properly with any pro graphics program. You don't need a pro card to run it, but it won't be "certified" unless you do.

Here is a list of "pro" cards from newegg with DX11 compatability http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100008333%20600044860&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

Need to keep in mind when looking at the prices, these cards are made to be used with $1,000 + pieces of software running on $2,000 workstations with techs who can earn $40+ /hr.

woebegong

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Well, I have the 64 bit, windows 7 pro. system running so I got that part down anyway. Any recommendation on a CPU upgrade.

The program I am attempting to run is Mach Studio PRO. It is about a 4 grand program, and they just started offering it as free ware. From what could gather from the tuts and illustrations, it looks like it can be a good program. The company had some long winded reason for why they decided to give it away.

If you would like the address to download it, let me know and I will send it to you. It is pretty large as compressed it is 504 megs.

Thanks again for the info.

Well, if you just want to learn how to use Mach Studio PRO, then a gaming card would be enough instead of having to buy a workstation video card. However, it seems the program will rely on the video card for some of rendering. Therefore, the question is how much money are you willing to spend.

The HD 5450 I recommend would work with the program, but it's graphics processing ability is rather limited so your rending time will be slow. While a DX11 video card with 2GB of RAM is recommended, you can get away with 1GB. So it basically goes back to how much money are you willing to spend?

As for a CPU recommendation, the easy answer would be the Core i5-2500k. But it all depends on your budget.