Intel advise for an amd fanboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

finalguy

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
I dont want this to come off as flamey, im really just more disapointed then angry
after hemming and hawing, reading 100s of reviews and blog posts, and after making tons of excuses to myself and anyone who would listen(to the point that my wife was ready to struggle me the next time I even whispered the word core), I had to face the truth and admit amd just wasn’t good enough anymore. They failed in holding on to their architecture for 10 years and when their saving grace, their great white hope hit it was a bust.At that point, the fanboy in me broke and I finally had to come to jebus. I sadly took off my amd blinders and began the funeral march to Newegg to what I felt at the time was trading my soul to the devil.

so here's my question. im pretty familar with pcs and building them. i've over clocked some in the past, and im not too afriad to get my hands dirty so to speak, BUT i havnt dealt with intel in over 15 yrs, meaning that im not familar with the arcitecture, clock speeds,etc. so knowing this about me which cpu would you guys suggest i put in my new gaming rig

(im thinking z68 1155 sandybridge, unless im really missing something here. im not into the new lga 2011 btw too pricey and i dont think it willget much traction in the future since ivy is going right back to 1155)

i5-2500($220)
i5-2500k($225 atm)
i7-2600($300 atm)
i7-2600k($320 atm)

like i said i dont mind OC as long as its fairly easy and stable so.... stable working gaming rig> super very technical OCing

Solution
Right now very few games can take advantage of more then 4 threads. So for gaming the answer is the Intel® Core™ i5-2500K and I would match it up with a good Z68 board. If you are going to be doing some heavy audio/video creation work then go with the Intel Core i7-2600K as they will get more out of hyper-threading.

The new 2nd generation Intel Core i7 processors that are using socket 2011 are really best targetted by those who are doing heavy multi-threaded work like audio/video creation and high memory bandwidth will pay off for them.

Just one last word of advice if you are going to overclock get a good 3rd party HSF (heatsink/fan) as it will help deal with the increased temperatures.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
Right now very few games can take advantage of more then 4 threads. So for gaming the answer is the Intel® Core™ i5-2500K and I would match it up with a good Z68 board. If you are going to be doing some heavy audio/video creation work then go with the Intel Core i7-2600K as they will get more out of hyper-threading.

The new 2nd generation Intel Core i7 processors that are using socket 2011 are really best targetted by those who are doing heavy multi-threaded work like audio/video creation and high memory bandwidth will pay off for them.

Just one last word of advice if you are going to overclock get a good 3rd party HSF (heatsink/fan) as it will help deal with the increased temperatures.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Solution

finalguy

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011

ok so lets say i pick up the i5-2500k and a asus maximus IV mobo
on a scale from 1 to 10, 1 being the computer does it all by itself and optimizes it and 10 being writing new bios from scratch, how hard do you think it is to say oc that chip to 4gz+?
also would i lose anything from not getting the i7 like bells and whistles not added to i5?

finalguy

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011

i went back and forth on getting a corsair 100 or an antec chillar but i ended up buying a cooler master v10, think thats enuff? over kill? gonna snap my board in half with 10 pounds of aluminium? lol

Overclocking is easy make sure you have a good cooler and all you have to do is raise the multiplier for the CPU, hence the "K".
Only thing you loose from the I7 (on top of bragging rights) is the hyper threading that allows it to deal with up to 8 threads at a time.

It is really simple to reach 4GHz by just changing the multiplier for the processor in the Bios. Just do a google search for overclocking the Intel Core i5-2500K and you will get a bunch of good guides to getting higher speeds and yes the V10 would work well for dealing with increased temperature. Heck I am using the Cooler Master hyper 212 + ($30) and I am getting low 30's and mid 50's with a Intel® Core™ i7-2600K.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

finalguy

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011

thats good to hear. on the comp im replacing with this build, i had an athlon 64 x2 5600+ and even after reseating, repasting with artic silver(thinnest coat humanly possible) and even switching to a self contain water block, i was still getting 45 idle and 55 load. not that that matters to u at intel lol for it made my case and room rlly hot as well :)

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Finalguy, I would like to just say welcome to the winning team. You should be proud my friend.

Now, I am going to have to agree the 2500K is the most logical choice for you.
It is a great CPU and even at stock speeds is great and when you overclock it you will feel like you have just made the greatest purchase since Manhattan was bought for $24.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

I agree with the 2500k for gaming and overclocking.

Let me just say this about an overclock... Give me 30 seconds, and with a $30 aftermarket air cooler, I would have it at 4.5ghz easy for all but the most stubborn chips. It would take a little tweaking to get the lowest power consumption though.

The i7 has hyperthreading and 2MB extra cache. The extra cache doesn't make much difference, and hyperthreading only helps in certain highly threaded programs. Even the 2600k's best performance over the 2500k isn't worth the price premium.

finalguy

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011

thx for all your advice so far:)
ok, final question for the intel guy. for a gamer/mild over clocker using a ssd sata 6.0 as my primary boot and maybe 2x Velociraptors as my gaming/ media drives(everything else pretty straightforward and standard i guess), whats the differences and/or benefits to z68 vs p67. i only ask because like so many other things both on here and on the web at large the info has kind of been muddied by a thousand pple giving their personal opinions.(not that thats a bad thing, but ill buy a i5 if intel tells me over if some rando does)

example for anyone else that wants to comment(as im sure you have to skate a fine line between good advise and not showing 3rd party brand loyalty):

ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0)$309 p67

ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z $339 z68

Wow, those are some expensive motherboards there. I do think z68 is the best route right now, but those boards are very high end. Are you planning on crossfire or sli? Do you need all that stuff? You can spend your money as you wish of course, but you don't need a $300 motherboard to get a decent overclock on an i5.
I've even seen the maximus uATX board for $170 at newegg.

Chad Boga

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009

I also would question the need for a $300 motherboard.

Can a decent Asus Z68 not be had for under $250? Maybe even between $180 and $230?

finalguy

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
I've bought asus boards for yearsm I've used gigabyte,msi and foxco, but I've tended to come back to asus as I like their board cooling and software like probe for temp readings(my wifes top of the line gigabyte board had no temp software or temp point hardware for that matter). I've bought 2 crosshair boards(the same board series as maximus but for amd)n and I'd say I use about half of the features of those board, but they are about $100+ cheaper. I'm open to suggestions of course but I like fat blocks and heat pipes and prefer temp hardware/software :)

Status
Not open for further replies.