PC will start, but won't boot

scarecr0w

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Hey everybody,

Apologies in advance if this is the incorrect forum. I'm having issues with my PC and it was originally built by Cyberpower, so I wasn't sure where else to put this.

I recently upgraded PSU's because I went with an Xtreme Gear PSU when I had my PC built and have regretted that decision ever since. I went with the Corsair TX650 V2, which came in yesterday. I spent the majority of this morning replacing my PSU and managing cables and all that fun stuff. I booted up my PC and it worked fine. I noticed a high pitched whirring noise coming from the PSU, which (according to some of the reviews I read) is to be expected. I did notice a bit of heat coming from the PSU which I didn't recall ever experiencing before so I turned my PC off. I let it sit for a while and when I came back to turn it on, it never booted up.

The fans began turning, LED's lit up, and all the gears seemed to be in motion so to speak, but nothing ever popped up on my monitor, nor did the PC ever boot up. I've been successful with booting it up a couple of times since then, both times with the side panel off but when I put the side panel back on, it doesn't boot. I don't know if this is because I messed up, it's a faulty PSU, or something else. It's very possible that I messed up somewhere along the lines with the installation of the PSU as this was my first time ever installing one.

Any advice, consolation, or help of any kind would be much appreciated.

Some times hardware is faulty and you may have gotten the short straw

Id connect up your old power supply and see how it goes . You may not have to install it in your case to do this if you have room and long enough cables .

But try not to touch it once its turned on ... just in case

If the system won't boot with the side panels on, and if this symptom is consistent, then I'd venture to say that something is shorting out when you have the side panel(s) connected. Perhaps it's the side panel fan (assuming there is one).

scarecr0w

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
There is a fan on the side panel. However, it has been unable to boot up even with the side panel on, otherwise I'd be inclined to think there's a a short on the fan.