Sign in with
Your question

CPU cooler help with gaming build

Last response: in CPUs
December 1, 2011 12:09:38 AM

Hey everyone, I took advantage of this weekends good deals on newegg to upgrade my computer and my computer parts are coming in tomorrow. My only prob is I do not have a CPU cooler. I have a Frys Electronics and a Comp USA/Tiger Direct in driving distance (Im in north Dallas) so I have a nice selection. Also, any suggestions on other cooling would be great. I wont spend more then $65 because there are options at that price im already considering. I really would like to get http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite... but I do not know if it will fit my case and if my ram will get in the way. If that is overkill let me know and thanks for your help! Oh, and would you recommend additional fans?

Current build:
AMD Phenom II X4 970 Black Edition Deneb 3.5GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HDZ970FBGMBOX

SAPPHIRE 100314-3L Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL

BIOSTAR A870U3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-630SS 630W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Modular LED Power Supply

Thanks!
December 1, 2011 1:15:31 PM

Best bet is for you to wait for the computer parts tothe motherboard the chassis. Then measure the height, from the processor socket to the side wall of the chassis, to make sure you will have room for that cooler you're looking at.
m
l
December 1, 2011 1:42:16 PM

The Thermaltake Frio fits in the CM Storm Scout case, however there are 2 issues I'll bring up.

1. That Raidcrap PSU, was a very poor choice. Antec, Enermax/Lepa, Silverstone/Seasonic, XFX, Corsair, and OCZ/PC P&C are ones to get instead.
2. You may have an issue getting that card to fit in the case (if it's even near the same length as the 6950's it just won't fit).
m
l
Related resources
December 1, 2011 9:21:18 PM

Well the good thing is I am building two computers right now and this is just the first. My girl friend wants me to make her one as well so I am waiting to see if everything fits and runs well. If it does then I can replace the PSU with a better one and give her that one for now (I also have 2 600w that work great) If the card doesn't fit, there were a couple other full size cases I can get instead of the one I was going to get for her and give her this build with a diff card. Thanks for the recommendation!
m
l
a c 145 à CPUs
December 1, 2011 10:47:54 PM

Newegg has the hyper 212 for under $18...

Edit - looks like that sale is over, sorry.
m
l
!