EOS 20D Raw Files: why I don't see them in XP?

Last response: in Digital Camera
March 29, 2005 1:00:17 AM

I just purchased an EOS 20D, and I wwas doing some RAW files tests, but I
could never see the files
from XP Explorer. I had to put the card in a card reader, from where I
finally could copy them to my
Laptop. Is it normal? Or should I update a driver, program, camera setting?
Another question, is there a way to avoid the camera create the folders
CANON101, CANON102, and
so on? For me it is better the old approach: All the files in a directory,
or at least after a few hundreds, or
maybe on a date-created basis.

Thanks in Advance
Renato
Chile

More about : eos 20d raw files

Anonymous
March 29, 2005 1:00:18 AM

This is normal but a pain.

You can either use the canon software for transfering you photos, which
is not so good, or
you can get a card reader, which is what I and most people have done.
With a card reader
the raw files show up just like you would think they should.

Don't know how to keep it from making the folders, I reformat from time
to time to clear them
out.

Scott
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 4:05:22 PM

Thanks a lot Scott, so I will have to wait for an upgrade or similar.

Renato
"Scott W" <biphoto@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> This is normal but a pain.
>
> You can either use the canon software for transfering you photos, which
> is not so good, or
> you can get a card reader, which is what I and most people have done.
> With a card reader
> the raw files show up just like you would think they should.
>
> Don't know how to keep it from making the folders, I reformat from time
> to time to clear them
> out.
>
> Scott

Anonymous
March 31, 2005 2:12:36 AM

"R.Cortes" <renatocortes@sacaesto.netexplora.com> wrote in message
>I just purchased an EOS 20D, and I wwas doing some RAW files tests, but I
>could never see the files
> from XP Explorer. I had to put the card in a card reader, from where I
> finally could copy them to my
> Laptop. Is it normal? Or should I update a driver, program, camera
> setting?
> Another question, is there a way to avoid the camera create the folders
> CANON101, CANON102, and
> so on? For me it is better the old approach: All the files in a directory,
> or at least after a few hundreds, or
> maybe on a date-created basis.
>
> Thanks in Advance
> Renato
> Chile

Xp does not download RAW files.

Use the EOS Viewer Software that came with the camera.

When you connect the 20D you will seee it as a new drive, click in until you
see the folder with your pictures.

Drag and drop this to your harddrive.

You can then use the EOSV of DPP supplied with the camera or a 3rd party RAW
converter to convert to TIF or JPG after making the conversion adjustments
you need.

NB you can only work on the PC harddrive and not on the camera.

Lester
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 10:08:52 AM

"R.Cortes" <renatocortes@sacaesto.netexplora.com> wrote in message
>I just purchased an EOS 20D, and I wwas doing some RAW files tests, but I
>could never see the files
> from XP Explorer. I had to put the card in a card reader, from where I
> finally could copy them to my
> Laptop. Is it normal? Or should I update a driver, program, camera
> setting?
> Another question, is there a way to avoid the camera create the folders
> CANON101, CANON102, and
> so on? For me it is better the old approach: All the files in a directory,
> or at least after a few hundreds, or
> maybe on a date-created basis.

Can you shoot RAW+JPG on that camera? Shoot both and use the JPEG for
reference, i.e., thumbnails.

Also regarding the folders, you can't do anything about that but after you
copy from your camera, in Windows Explorer, search for all files, *.CRW,
then cut paste from the search results (from the multiple folders) to a
single new folder.
March 31, 2005 1:53:49 PM

"Scott W" <biphoto@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> This is normal but a pain.
>
> You can either use the canon software for transfering you photos, which
> is not so good, or
> you can get a card reader, which is what I and most people have done.
> With a card reader
> the raw files show up just like you would think they should.
>
> Don't know how to keep it from making the folders, I reformat from time
> to time to clear them
> out.
>
> Scott

A common misconception (we should all wear condoms) is that CR2 and CRW
files are images. They are not! They are the raw data from the camera and
while some applications can make an image from the data to display, you
can't actually edit one of these files until it is converted to an image.
The camera's onboard processor can convert the data to an image file
(usually jpg) but in doing this often discards data which could be used to
repair blown highlights or muddied shadows.

The only reason for saving as a RAW file is so you can control what, where
and how the data is converted at a later date. One example of essential RAW
capture is DxO's raw converter. This number uses the raw data to fix
problems with lenses during conversion. Yeah... Even the fabled "L" series
lenses are able to be improved on with this converter and the 'kit' lenses
results start to look very like those from uncorrected "L" series lenses!

Otherwise... Jpg is probably a better format for many people to save in.
Once you have mastered the custom functions of the camera which let you
sharpen, brighten and enhance an image during the camera's conversion, you
could just plug in your flash card to an Epson Picturemate or similar and
get prints which have been converted to your specifications during shooting.

Personally I thing far too much blind faith is put in shooting RAW. There is
plenty of scope for creating your own jpg profile and having the camera do
all the work instead of needing a major investment in software just to get
more work for yourself!

Douglas
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 2:53:48 PM

Thanks a lot for all the responses. BTW, has anybody found he best
compromise in the EOS 20D camera settings
(parameters), to get the "best" jpg image? I mean the sharpest and colorful
image? When I shoot with the default
values (all 0), I find the images underexposed, even when I use the 580EX
flash. The images from my Finepix S700
are far better than the ones from my 20D. Am I missing something?

Renato
Chile

!