Help deciding whether to update dell optiplex gx270

iluminameluna

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
Hello,
I have a dell optiplex gx270, small desktop tower & the following specs: Pent 4 2.4Ghz, Kingston 2 1G pc2700 184-pin dimms, 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller, an Intel 865G chipset, running a Compaq v700 crt w/ the o.s. Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat). It has a 150W ps that I'm told can't be upgraded due to the system tolerances. I don't play any 3D games or mmprpg's or high-rendering-need games. I just play FB Playfish/Zynga games. They are ALL SO SLOW. Dialog boxes appear frame by frame & when I try to drag an image, after the mouse stops moving the image keeps going .. I've looked all over the 'net but can't seem to find anyone who's posted a satisfactory solution to the problem Buying a new, cheap system, has been my optimal choice but if I can just install an agp card (best suggestion I've found is the ati radeon 9200se, 128m but there's no consensus as to it's use in my case since it's not a lp card & there's a history of issues w/ ATI cards & linux) it would be great since a new comp means my son buying it in the States the shipping it to me in El Salvador. Any help?

Solution
2.4 gig P4, 150watt PSU.. not worth spending any money on that. Put the money towards a new PC or at least a used faster system with a PCIe slot. You can get complete systems with decent video cards for $200 in the US on craigslist.

iluminameluna

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011

Thanks, Hang,

It was the ans I was expecting. I've been searching for poss solutions to this poor workhorse but the nag can go no further, is as far as I got. Talking my son into it was a diff story. As most "boys" do, he was skeptical that my machine had reached it's end of utility but at least now I have another "boy" saying same ... *sigh* .. males & their moms .. I swear. :love: