Sign in with
Your question

DDR3 - Dual Kit RAM in Triple Channel ?

Last response: in Memory
September 6, 2012 5:47:41 PM

I'm currently with Rampage 3 Extreme mobo (x58 chipset).
I'm wondering whether I can use 3 pairs of Dual Kit Ram to perform in Triple Channel ?

Btw, if it is possible.
I'm having dilemma between both of these ram kit.
I'm not going for gaming purposes, but just for hardcore photoshop usage.

Corsair Vengeance LP PC3-10666 8-8-8-24 (1.5v)
http://www.pcgameware.co.uk/corsai-vengenace-lp-8gb-rev...

or

Mushkin DDR3 PC3-12800 9-9-9-24 Blackline (1.5v)
http://www.mushkin.com/Memory/Blackline/996995.aspx
September 6, 2012 6:07:23 PM

Hi Lemonsz,

You can use Dual-Channel Memory in a Tripple channel memory motherboard, except you will need 3 sticks of ram. The voltage is fine as tripple channel runs at 1.65v and these run at 1.5, therefore that is not an issue. I may be wrong but i'm pretty sure you can't just put 2 dual channel DIMMS in a tripple-channel board configuration
September 6, 2012 6:19:03 PM

Why not buy 2 x triple channel memory kits? I realize your local prices may be different but I added it up on Newegg and it is actually less to get 2 triple channel DDR-1600 CAS 9 1.5v kits than 3 x dual channel kits at same speed and specs.

Getting 2 x triple channel kits ensures that the sticks play nice with each other. 3 x dual channel kits should work fine but there are no guarantees. If there is little or no price diff then get the matched triple kits. Honestly though, I've seen people mix all kinds of ram without issues, so it'll probably be fine either way. Good luck!
Related resources
September 6, 2012 6:32:44 PM

v1zzle said:
Hi Lemonsz,

You can use Dual-Channel Memory in a Tripple channel memory motherboard, except you will need 3 sticks of ram. The voltage is fine as tripple channel runs at 1.65v and these run at 1.5, therefore that is not an issue. I may be wrong but i'm pretty sure you can't just put 2 dual channel DIMMS in a tripple-channel board configuration

I see. My mobo comes with 6 slots and I'm going to run it with 6 sticks instead of 3.

September 6, 2012 6:42:49 PM

larkspur said:
Why not buy 2 x triple channel memory kits? I realize your local prices may be different but I added it up on Newegg and it is actually less to get 2 triple channel DDR-1600 CAS 9 1.5v kits than 3 x dual channel kits at same speed and specs.

Getting 2 x triple channel kits ensures that the sticks play nice with each other. 3 x dual channel kits should work fine but there are no guarantees. If there is little or no price diff then get the matched triple kits. Honestly though, I've seen people mix all kinds of ram without issues, so it'll probably be fine either way. Good luck!

Hi larkspur,

I've run two pairs of Triple Kit (2GB x 6) for 2 years without any issues, until 1 stick has failed few days ago. (tested with Memtest86+)
So, I've removed the failed stick and currently the RAM remains in DIMM A2,B1,B2,C1,C2. (which means A1 is empty)
CPU-Z shows the remains of RAMs running @ Dual Channel in the 'Memory' tab, while the 'SPD' tab still shows up all 5 slots information. While in Windows, it shows 8GB. Therefore I assumed that the mobo only runs DIMM B1,2 & C1,2 .

I'm currently in Asia, that's why I couldn't get it from newegg, and my local vendor only has Dual, instead of Tri Kit.
Moreover, I can get the Vengeance LP 1333 in a really low price, $40 for 4GB x 2, which I think it's a great deal.
That's the reason that drives me to go for 3 pairs of Dual Kit, instead of 2 pairs of Tri Kit.
September 6, 2012 7:23:14 PM

Understood. The only difference between triple channel kits and dual-channel kits is that the 3 sticks in a triple-channel kit have been tested as a trio and passed. The dual-channel kits are tested as a duo and passed. But they are physically the same modules, so there shouldn't be a problem mixing three dual-channel kits together to make two triple channel kits. That is the theory, but again, no guarantees since the manufacturer didn't test and match them as triple-channel kits. Like I said, I think you'll be fine, but no one is guaranteeing it.
!