Small media PC

baiano

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011
I am looking into putting together a small media PC for my brother but am having a hard time knowing what is good and what isn't...

Approximate Purchase Date: Either the next two weeks or around Thanksgiving (if prices and/or products will be better then)

Budget Range: 300-400

System Usage from Most to Least Important: DVR and 1080p playback, Blu-ray viewing, web, social games (non-graphic intense PC games)

Parts Not Required: TV, OS, receiver/speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, Amazon, Frys

Country of Origin: US

Parts Preferences: No specific brand preferences. i would like something small enough to not look terribly out of place in an entertainment center.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1080p via HDMI

Additional Comments: Quiet and minimal light on the case. Simple remote for controlling the DVR would be nice, can use standard keyboard/mouse for everything else. I would like a case with space for a standard HD, an SSD, and an optical drive.

The video capture will be pulling only ATSC (no cable/sat signals to worry about) and a dual tuner would be preferred.

Something like:

ASRock E350M1 AMD E-350
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250
G.SKILL 4GB DDR3 1066 (unless it's better to go 2x2gb)
a big, quiet HD (I'll probably just wait for a ~64gb SSD to go on super sale and add it in later)
Blu-Ray Player (or something super quiet, no immediate need)

But like I said, this is kind of foreign to me...

Thanks for the help

Im building a media pc tomorrow , using an avermedia card

The research I did for that made me wonder about the system requirements of the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 .
http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hvr2250.html

The 2.2 GHz P4 is not a powerful processor by todays standards , but then neither is the AMD E-350 .
I'd contact Hauppage and see if they think its a strong enough cpu

but hopefully someone else here on Toms will know