Help with knowing if my upgrade will be compatible

Kizza176

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2012
Hi, I currently have a asus p5wd2 premium http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5WD2_Premium/#specifications motherboard and I am not looking for an upgrade for that because it's expensive. The main reason I'm here is because I want to know my choice in parts will be stable and compatible:
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Asus nVIDIA 3D GeForce GTX 550 TI
G.Skill Ripjaws - Memory - 8 GB : 2 x 4 GB - DIMM 240-pin - DDR3
Arctic Cooling MX-2 4g High Performance Thermal Compound
Alpine 650W Quiet Silent PC Power Supply PSU 120mm Fan

Also if you have any suggestions on what else I should buy instead I will be very grateful. Also I am looking to run games such as Minecraft, Battlefield 3, Arma II DayZ.

Thank You.

Weak link here - your PSU choice, not the place to go cheap. For a single GTX 550ti, no more than 500W is needed. Select a PSU from a reputable manufacturer such as Corsair, XFX, SeaSonic, Super Flower, Antec (I have never heard of Alpine, nor have I seen any reviews of their units from legitimate sources) or find a review from such sites as JonnyGuru, HardOCP, AnandTech or HardwareSecrets - all of those sites do extensive testing of the PSU's and even take them apart to look at the quality of the parts and the quality of assembly - don't have to read the whole articles, simply go to the conclusion pages.
The only other concern is that the CM Hyper212 EVO is a large cooler, make sure it will fit your case.
Not bad though

Kizza176

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2012
Yeah the cooler is fine I have plenty of space, I have even taken the measurements!

My current PSU is 500W but the only reason I wanted a new is because I don't know if it has a 6 pin power connector or will one come in the box?

And thanks

Kizza176

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2012
Yes but I didn't look properly because it's my mums and I have a history of tinkering with things and braking them.

You'll make a fine IT tech someday, lol.
There is another option, the use of an adapter from a SATA power connector - not the best option but it is workable

Kizza176

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2012
Yes I know I could do that, and I hope I will be. Because when I leave school after this year I hope to take a course on computer building.
And my psu is ATX 12V VER 2.0

Kizza176

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2012
Thanks but I already know how to fit a computer lol but there's a lot more to it.
Thanks for the thought much appreciated!