CPU Fan accelerates before Shutdown

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Shutdown
  • Power
Last response: in CPUs
December 1, 2011 1:49:17 AM

Hello!

This problem started today. There was a power shortage here while the computer was on (pretty much idle, I left it on while at college). After I got home, I turned it on and noticed the typical windows unexpected shutdown options. Started Windows normally, used the PC normally.

When turning it off, this strange issue happened.
Just a sec before the system completely shut down (Start/Shut Down and waiting for it to shut down properly) the CPU fan accelerated reaaaaaally fast, and a loud noise was heard (like if it was on max load, even louder), then the PC turned off.

Tried that again inmediately, with the same result. Those 2 times the CPU fan accelerated before the system shut down.

Is it something normal? Something to be feared?
Could the power shortage have had something to do with it? (No UPS, just plain Surge Protection)

Thanks!

BTW:

AMD 1100T X6
M4A89GTD PRO/USB3
XFX PRO650W Core Edition
Using stock fan.

More about : cpu fan accelerates shutdown

December 1, 2011 3:52:20 AM

It's certainly possible a surge could have damaged your parts. A decent active PSU should take the surge, though. If anything is going to be damaged, that's the first things. I'd look at that first.
m
l
Related resources
December 1, 2011 9:57:20 AM

Quote:
It's certainly possible a surge could have damaged your parts. A decent active PSU should take the surge, though. If anything is going to be damaged, that's the first things. I'd look at that first.

I have 6 takes with surge protection from Omega and my PSU is a XFX PRO650W. These events (power shortages while on) happened a lot in my last computer, and even with a generic strange brand PSU (Joytech? :o ) and the same Omega surge protection nothing bad ever happened to my components. Could this be my first surge assault with victims?
Thanks for your support. :) 

Quote:
use cpuid hw monitor to see the fan speed and temp of mobo http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Got some results from HW Monitor and AIDA64 Extreme Engineer Edition:

CPU Temp:
AIDA: 46º C
HW: 46º C

CPU Fan:
AIDA: 4091 RPM
HW: 4090 RPM

MOBO Temp:
AIDA: 40ºC
HW: 40ºC

Just to mention. I forgot to give some info about my build. I'm currently running this PC without Case Fans. I'm only using the HDD fan (front one, intake) and a PCI slot Fan (hot air extraction), stock CPU Fan as I have mentioned before and pretty stable work. Never tested on full load in fear for it melting :D 
Even under these conditions, the accelerating fan is plain new. Just happened yesterday.

Those temps were taken while writing this article on Aurora 10a2, Feed Demon updating feeds, uTorrent on and probably Eset Smart Security 5 running on the background checking some files.

Thanks for your concerns. Hope to hear from you soon.

In case you need the report, provide an email for me to send it to you.
m
l
a c 96 à CPUs
December 2, 2011 11:37:50 PM

what is your case model maybe you could add some fans to lower temp a little bit more
m
l
!