Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Machine Won't Boot. Powers on, No Video

Last response: in Motherboards
September 6, 2012 7:25:59 PM

Hello all, there's threads about this, but I wanted to add specifics to it.

I have a donated HP Pavilion a1610n PC. ASUS A8M2N-LA motherboard, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 1GB (512x2) PC2-4200 RAM.

When I went to power it on to check it out, it turned on, and the fans immediately spun up to what seems like full speed, but that's it. No video, nothing. No beeps either.

I went through the usual steps for this kind of thing...stripped it down to just the PS and 1 RAM stick. Didn't work, so I took out the RAM to get a beep code, but there's no sound. I swapped the DIMM's between slots in case one was bad. Nothing. Then I changed the PS to a 290W (it had a 180W). Didn't work either. I suspected a dead VGA port, so I stuck in a PCI video card, and that didn't work. I added a HDD, and I can hear it spin up and try to work (there's no OS on it), but no luck there. I know all of the stuff I put it works (came from other working machines).

The MB looks good physically. I'm not sure about the CPU, and I can't test it as I don't have any AM2 CPU's or MB's laying around. So I'm at a loss here. I did clear the CMOS as well, but it didn't work.

I was hoping to fix and sell this machine (I do that frequently when I get free machines), but it's looking like a lemon. Again, everything powers on, but no video on the monitor, no beeps.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
September 6, 2012 8:21:35 PM

It's really hard to offer you any suggestions because in my opinion you have troubleshot the problem pretty well. In my experience this was almost always a motherboard issue, though you would typically see some distended capacitors on the board (but not always).

Just to try something that I didn't see you mention, have you tried reseating the CPU (checking for bent pins, removing old thermal compound and reapplying)? I have had luck with this in rare occassions where I couldn't find any damage to the board.

I know that's not of tremendous help, but like I said before you have covered your bases well.

Good luck!
m
l
September 6, 2012 9:16:23 PM

Thanks for the reply! I know I did pretty much everything you can do to troubleshoot, but I haven't thought of re seating the cpu. I don't have any thermal grealse laying around though. Can I do it without removing the old stuff?

Thanks for the input!
m
l
Related resources
September 7, 2012 12:30:27 PM

You can, but it is not typically recommended. When you remove the heatsink from the CPU (depending on the state of the thermal compound) it may flake off or get moved around in a way to where it doesn't provide good coverage and it may lead to the processor getting too hot.

For these testing purposes though for a computer that doesn't POST, I would say go for it and see how it works out. If reseating the CPU/Heatsink resolves the issue, then I would go out and get some new thermal compound, remove the old compound using high % rubbing alcohol, then apply the new compound.

Good luck!
m
l
September 10, 2012 4:43:39 PM

Thanks man. I will try that today and let you know what happens.
m
l
September 12, 2012 3:33:55 PM

Just an update...I tried reseating the cpu and tried it again, but no luck. It powers on, the cpu fam sounds up to full speed, and nothing else happens. No post, no video (the light to my monitor stays orange like in suspended mode), no beeps. My next question is does this sounds like a cpu problem? Because I can sell the machine for parts.

Thanks for all the input!

Nick
m
l

Best solution

September 12, 2012 4:28:39 PM

That's a bummer man, but it was a last ditch effort. I lean more towards the motherboard being bad for a couple of reasons:

1) No beeps, typically if there is an error with the CPU it will at least throw some POST codes

2) Motherboards are far more complex and have more capacitors, transistors, etc. that can go bad and cause a no POST issue

So in sum, my money is on the mobo.

Hopefully that is helpful! Take care!
a b V Motherboard
September 13, 2012 12:05:23 PM

Have you reset the bios?
Use the jumper on the board to short it and then try and reboot again.
m
l
September 20, 2012 6:32:59 AM

nullifier, you've been a great help

Monsta

I did reset the BIOS early on and it didn't help (took out the CMOS batt for about 10 minutes). I'm putting my money on the MB. I'll try another power supply just to be sure, but again, even if the PS wasn't strong enough, it wouldn't act like that. There's pretty much no load on the PS anyway, just the CPU, a couple fans.
m
l
September 20, 2012 12:43:19 PM

Well, I'm glad could be of some assistance, sorry I couldn't help you get a definitive answer though!

Take care!
m
l
September 20, 2012 7:15:23 PM

Best answer selected by sirstinky.
m
l
September 20, 2012 7:15:36 PM

Thanks for the help!
m
l
!