Sign in with
Your question

CPU Upgrade Question

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
December 1, 2011 3:04:46 AM

Hey guys,

I had a quick question regarding upgrading my existing AMD Phenom 9550 quad core 2.2ghz to a new:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103953

Here is my mobo specs:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c01357135&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=3272

I'm pretty sure the wattage should be fine. I also see the socket type, according to HP, is an AM2+. So I'm thinking the AM3 would fit ok.

I just wasn't sure if there was something I wasn't aware of. I wanted to get a general consensus.

Thank you for any help!

More about : cpu upgrade question

December 1, 2011 4:19:50 AM

i'd stick to the phenom if i were you.... Why would you want to change 4 cores to a dual cores?
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
December 1, 2011 4:39:57 AM

phenom 955 :p 
m
l
Related resources
December 1, 2011 4:47:42 AM

sorry phenom 9500..

I wanted to upgrade because I feel like the 2.2 ghz might be holding me back on some newer games. I upgraded my GPU and it really didn't do much.

I feel the problem lies within the processor.. Maybe someone could recommend a good budget quad core that would work with my Mobo specs?
m
l
December 1, 2011 6:45:00 PM

My budget is $75-$100 for a new CPU.

My Mobo is a Asustek Narra 3 M2N68-LA
specs here http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c01357135&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=32721

Current CPU - AMD Phenom 9500 quad core processor at 2.2GHZ (cannot overclock due to mobo/bios)

5 gigs of ddr2 RAM

GPU - ATI Raedon HD 5570 - 1GB (budget card I bought a few months back)

I mainly want a CPU that would be an upgrade, but also compatable with this crappy stock mobo (I have the am2+ socket, but the wattage limits are pretty low). I read that upgrading a mobo would require a reinstall of the OS. I have no clue where my windows disk are.

I was thinking of putting in an AMD athlon II dual core 3.4 GHz. I use my machine for some light gaming and thought the pure 1.2GHz addition might give me better performance on new games. I saw a few games only utilize two cores anyway.

Link to CPU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103953
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
December 1, 2011 6:53:40 PM

Get a phenom 955!
m
l
December 2, 2011 1:18:57 AM

Mind listing what games you play? Your video card does not warrant heavy gaming, so there's possibility that your video card is the one holding you back.
m
l
December 2, 2011 9:40:58 PM

I play a lot of Starcraft 2 / some Skyrim / and will be playing diablo 3.

a good example in Starcraft 2 is that I can 1v1 just fine. However, playing 2v2 up to 4v4, especially when a lot of things are happening / or a lot of units are in play I get choppier and choppier until going down to unplayable FPS.

It happened on my old vid card which was a stock 256 mb. I upgraded to the current vid card ( card was mostly chosen because of the low power output on my PSU) All the recommended settings jumped from low to high, so I know the card was a good upgrade, but I still have the choppiness.

That is why I feel the processor is to blame.

I've already looked into overheating as a possibility and trust me I've cleaned the case/ detached heatsink and cleaned/ and put some new thermal paste on it. I also run CoreTemp which monitors the temp and it never goes about 40-50C under any load.

m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
December 4, 2011 4:58:28 AM

newtotoms said:
I play a lot of Starcraft 2 / some Skyrim / and will be playing diablo 3.

a good example in Starcraft 2 is that I can 1v1 just fine. However, playing 2v2 up to 4v4, especially when a lot of things are happening / or a lot of units are in play I get choppier and choppier until going down to unplayable FPS.

It happened on my old vid card which was a stock 256 mb. I upgraded to the current vid card ( card was mostly chosen because of the low power output on my PSU) All the recommended settings jumped from low to high, so I know the card was a good upgrade, but I still have the choppiness.

That is why I feel the processor is to blame.

I've already looked into overheating as a possibility and trust me I've cleaned the case/ detached heatsink and cleaned/ and put some new thermal paste on it. I also run CoreTemp which monitors the temp and it never goes about 40-50C under any load.

Before you upgrade, overclock that cpu and see if you can get any real performance out of it
m
l
December 5, 2011 12:27:52 AM

I've gone into BIOS and there aren't any options for overclocking.. unless there is another way I'm not sure I can overclock it.
m
l
December 5, 2011 4:08:03 AM

does you mean 4v4 with AI or with people?
Have you tried squeezing that much unit in 1v1 and see if it still run smooth?
m
l
!