Seeking a little help chosing the right components

MichaelBM

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
I was ordering a system the other day from a shop cpu, mobo and rams, when i learned that the rams i had chosen wasnt in production anymore, and since the mobo only supports ram speeds of 1333mhz and nothing before 2200mhz, i just thought i would rebuild that whole setup as later on i found out that the marvel chip wasnt as fast as it could be on that specific board and so on, anyhow..

(scrapped system)

Rams: Kingston 6GB DDR3 2250MHz HyperX (out of production)

Cpu: Intel Core i7 960 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115224

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD7 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128413

Wouldnt mind using the same cpu for the new build, tho i found out that the mobo isnt as fast with an ssd as other mobos might be, so if theres any better out there that be great aswell.

I am now again looking to make a setup for about 1500-2000$ spent on cpu, mobo and rams and maby even a graphics card mostly for gaming, so about 6bg rams will do i believe, for the mobo id like that to be 1366 socket idealy from gigabyte as ive always used that, tho i wouldnt mind changing to something better, and ofc semi-highend rams wich is compatible for that mobo and cpu speed.

so all in all for the new build:
socket 1366 idealy
6 gigs of quality ram
mobo with possibility of supporting some OC
and might use the cpu in the above link for the mobo

i know this might be an odd request, but for me trying to find the parts myself wil most likely end in a failure or incompatible, or just low overall performance :p

Meny thanks in advance

MichaelBM

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
Mostly Gaming, HD movies and daily use.
reason for that socket is that ive read somewhere that the new cpus will be using that socket, so just to save some cash for later upgrades, tho if thers a better solution for it using another socket, that could be used aswell.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
As far as im aware Ivybridge (the new CPUs) will use the same 1155 socket that SandyBridge currently uses.

Build Overdraft:
CPU: i5-2500k
Motherboard: P67 or Z68 socket 1155 board (ASUS, ASRock, MSI, Gigabyte are common choices)
RAM: 8GB DDR3 Dual Channel 1600MHz CL9
PSU: Depends on graphics cards. 500w usually enough for a single card, 750w+ for SLI/Crossfire
GPU: Depending on budget, common choices include 6950, GTX 560Ti, 6970, GTX 570
HDD: Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB
Optical Drive: DVD/Blu Ray - depending on your needs.

ps3hacker12

Distinguished

yep this sandy bridge system would be my choice over any 1366 based system right now, comparison:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/100?vs=288

and anyway the 2500K OCes much better (it a second generation i-series processor)

MichaelBM

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
Im just wondering if i7-2600 will perform as good as i5-2500? as i cant find any shops online where i live who has it still

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
The i7 is slightly better than the i5, but in terms of gaming the very minor difference doesn't justify the extra price you have to pay.

Unless your doing lots of video encoding or rendering, stick with the i5 :)

MichaelBM

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
while looking at the rams, im just wondering if cl8 would be any better than cl9, or hows the deal with rams and reason for choosing either?

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
The lower the CL the quicker the RAM is.

The difference between CL7-CL8-CL9 is pretty much unnoticeable to everyday applications and so paying the extra price for a lower Latency Timing just isn't justifiable.

If the difference between for example 1600MHz CL8 and 1600MHz CL9 was only $10/£5, then it probably would be worth spending that little extra, however if the difference was say $30/£15, its just not worth it for something that you'll probably never see the benefit of.