MB problems and what MB to get/keep

npolite

Distinguished
May 26, 2007
Hi All,

I bought and Asus P8Z77-V LK board this week. I posted in another thread that I have some issues with the board that I am not happy with. These are mostly aesthetics but none the less are bothering me.

1) The LED lights are slightly dimmer than the board that it replaced which was a Gigabyte N650SLI-DS4.
2) When in sleep mode the power LED keeps blinking...this is really annoying
3) Motherboard feels brittle and even plugging things in the back I am afraid that with all of the flexing something is going to break off.
4) Temperatures are showing much hotter than my old C2D. The case is the same so airflow would be exactly the same on both boards. I have also disabled the smart fan options in the bios

HW Monitor
C2D min 23C max 30C
CPUTIN i5-3570k min 33C max 66C

core1
CD2 min 44 max 49C
i5-3570k 34C max 43C

Now I am looking at the GA-Z77X-D3H. There are a few concerns here. The VIA sound...I have been using Realtek for a very long time and enjoy the sound. I've had some VIA chipsets in the past on older AMD boards and they really sucked. Does anyone own this and can comment? I have this issue on my other Gigabyte board the GA-EP35-DS3L, when it is in sleep mode and I switch over to my Asus P8Z77-V LK or my older Gigabyte N650SLI-DS4 system, it turns back on. I have not found what is causing it at the moment. If I put either Asus P8Z77-V LK or my older Gigabyte N650SLI-DS4 into sleep mode it doesn't turn on when I switch to the Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L. I am worried that the Gigabyte may also do this.

I haven't had any experience with Asrock but their Extreme4 looks decent. I am willing to give that a try as long as the sleep mode doesn't have the power led lighting up.

Sorry for the lengthly question but I am at my wits end with this. I want to keep my budget to around $130 after rebate. I may bag my entire setup and just keep my old C2D and Gigabyte N650SLI-DS4 system.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

npolite

Distinguished
May 26, 2007
Ok I finally found the setting in the BIOS. It was only after I selected Ctrl+F1 to get the advanced hidden options that something in power management showed up. The option was "USB Device Wake-Up From S3". I disabled it and now when I switch systems on the KVM nothing comes on. This is quite annoying though because most KVM swicthes use USB. I wonder if the newer Gigabyte boards have this enabled by default and hopefully there is a way to disable it.