Sign in with
Your question

6 m-atx comps, 2 PSU's, 1 cabinet. Can it be done?

Last response: in Components
December 1, 2011 3:27:43 AM

Hi

I have been thinking of building a "cheap" cluster/rendering computer :pt1cable: 

My plan is:

6 x CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 640 3.0 GHz £88.00
6 x Motherboard: Asus M5A88-A £82.50
12 x Memory: 16GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333MHz £33.00
6 x Harddrive: Corsair SSD Nova Series 2 60GB £75.00
6x PSU: Fortron Source 250W £32.50

~ Total £344 x 6 = £2064 at todays prices

Been thinking of going for 8GB of mem as it saves me £198 and should be more the enough I belive?

For powersupply's I havent decided yet, been thinking of useing 6 x 250W powersupplys, but that is kind of boring imo and wont look that good :heink: 

Sooooo, I have been thinking of 2x750W/800W PSU's and extendig the 24-pin connectors so that I have 3 motherboards on eatch power supply. I have search alitle and found a few that have been thinking about the same thing, but not much info and in this scale.

Im thinking these m-ATX motherboards cant really be that power hungry and I have no intention of doing any OC, and sins the CPU gets the power from a seperate 12V line, I would think 2 x 750W/800W PSU should be able to run them with a stable power? Anyone else tried this or in that same line?

Been thinking about the on-board graphic cards, maybe they will increase the power consumption even thou there shouldnt be much activity on them.

If not, the multi PSU solution actually save's me £2.20 :o 

Anyways, for a case im thinking something like this:

Quick draft of what im thinking with a 6 x PSU solution.

Its based on the reale measurments from an IKEA cabinet, the mobo and PSU's are also scaled.

BUT if I get to the conclusion that 2x750W will be able to run it, I may think about puting it in to a glass cabinet.....

Can it be done? :bounce: 

* Gonna look around and see if I cant get my hands on some old tech and put it to the test...

Any ideas/suggestion?

More about : atx comps psu cabinet

December 1, 2011 3:49:13 AM

Nwm....

I found the info I needed.

And thinking it can be done with 2x750W!

This is going to be a fun project :p 

TTL
a b ) Power supply
December 1, 2011 4:09:09 AM

You will certainly have a lot of headroom with 2x750W. I'm thinking 2x600W will suffice, but of course it's better not to chance I guess.
December 1, 2011 5:36:37 AM

Yeah, I think its more then enough, but as you said. Good to have some headroom.

Guess I will have to get ebay'en for some stuff im going to need ^^

The boring part is that I most likely have to wait until end of jan to get the components for the computers, I have a suspicion that there would be some angry todlers xmas eve if I started this now :p 
!