No Power to Gigabyte Mobo

lmroberts36

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Hello,

I have a home-built system using a Gigabyte 7VT600P-RZ mobo. The system has been working just fine until recently when it decided to not power up--at all. That is, nothing happens when the power switch is pressed. After weeks of troubleshooting involving removal of all non-essential components, reinstalling them one-at-a-time, I have found a workaround that allows the system to power up and boot.

When unplugging the power cord from the case and waiting for the LAN port light to go out, then reinstalling the power cord the system powers up and boots with no problems. Apparently, something on the mobo is retaining some sort of config that is preventing the system from powering up. If anyone has an idea on what that might be I would appreciate hearing from you.

Solution
I remember an old IBM server I had would act this way sometimes and it finally died with the CPU being the culprit, had to install a new CPU to find that out. Soon after that the power supply blew. I think the issue was the owner of the server before me did not put the server on a clean AC outlet and some spikes might have weakened the PS which in turn did something funky to the CPU. Not sure of how to best troubleshoot unless you have a compatible CPU lying around to try out.

jybravo70

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
I remember an old IBM server I had would act this way sometimes and it finally died with the CPU being the culprit, had to install a new CPU to find that out. Soon after that the power supply blew. I think the issue was the owner of the server before me did not put the server on a clean AC outlet and some spikes might have weakened the PS which in turn did something funky to the CPU. Not sure of how to best troubleshoot unless you have a compatible CPU lying around to try out.

Solution

lmroberts36

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Thanks for the response to you both.

techguy911: I did replace the PS with a known good unit and the problem is still there.

jybravo70: You are probably on the right track. A year or so ago, this system was subjected to a very quick series of power spikes during an electrical storm. It would not power up at all. So I replaced the mobo with an identical, although used, mobo. I swapped the CPU, memory, video card and drives to the replacement mobo and it has been working fine since then until this recent problem. So it is possible that the CPU, memory or video card may have suffered a component degredation during the power spikes. I have another used replacement mobo coming so we will see if that corrects the problem.

FYI: I'm sticking with the original mobo model in this system so that I can restore an image to avoid reinstalling all software and drivers. I'm also going to build another newer system in the future to replace this unit.

BTW, this system was connected to an APC UPS when it took the power spikes and the mobo was still killed. APC did replace the UPS under warranty, with a lesser-capable unit, but the red tape required to get compensation for the fried mobo wore me down to the point where I just gave up trying to get reimbusement.

Thanks again!