CPU: Intel Core i5-2500k
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60
GPU: Radeon HD 6950 or Nvidia Gtx 560
RAM: Ripjaws 2x4gig
HD: Western Digital 1TB @7200 RPM
DVD Drive: Sony Optiarc AD-7260S-0B 24x DVDRW Drive
Power Supply: Corsair Professional HX850W 850W
Case: Azza Hurrican 2000R

So I guess my question is what am i missing, or what should I swap out (if anything) to make this kit fine for OCing up to 4.4 - 4.6 ghz? Also which of the two gpu's are better?

jamesstow

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
mobo - good, though maybe look at the z68 version?
cpu - good,
cooler - no. cool as water cooling is, its expensive and inefficient (for that price) look at the noctua nh-d14, dont take my word for it, do a google for reviews, watch videos, it'll stomp the h60. and supposedly make less noise.
gpu - personally im an ATI fan, but whatever tickles your fancy here
those psus are brilliant.

hunuok

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
Your MB/CPU combo should easily get you 4.6GHz just using the Asus OC preset in your BIOS. If you can, pay the extra and get the P8Z68-V or above.

With voltage changes you could get close to 4.8-5.0GHz with either board.

Either VGA should be fine.

As for your water cooling, IMO I would stick with a CPU cooler (Zalman/Thermaltake has good price/performance) until I could afford a full WC setup.

Instead, you may look at an SSD to compliment your HDD.

Either way, you have a nice solid setup.

Good luck with the build.

PS. I assume you are running a 1920x1020 res. That's about the max you could run with those VGAs. You can always crossfire/SLI in the future.

Suttlebutts

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011

Thanks, any specific recamendations for a CPU cooler or SSD? What are some leaders in price/performance. Mind you i'm looking to keep the full kit $1200-$1500.

Suttlebutts

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011

Is it really worth it to purchase an SSD for $200? Would there be such greater performance that it's worth it?

AdrianPerry

Distinguished

Suttlebutts

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011

Suttlebutts

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011

IS it called NH-D? is it a tower heatpipe cooleR?

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Its called the "Noctua NH-D14" i just put couldn't remember the full name off the top of my head.

Any Socket 1155 or Socket 1156 (which i believe is the same) will fit the ASUS motherboard you listed in your OP.

Click on the NewEgg link for more info about it, or alternatively visit Noctua's website :)

Suttlebutts

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011

I should just build your kit for myself Adrian haha.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Oh you mean the set up in my sig?

My build, which im quite impressed with:
CPU: i5-2500k
Mobo: ASUS P8Z68-v PRO
RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance
GPU: Gigabyte 560Ti OC Edition
PSU: 750w XFX Black Edition
Optical Drive: Samsung Blu-Ray
HDD: SeaGate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm
Case: CM Storm Scout

As much as i love the build, i honestly wish id just blown the bank and gone for a GTX 580 haha :D I can always add another card in SLI but its just not the same :p

Suttlebutts

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011

is one 580 better than 2 560's in SLI?

Suttlebutts

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
I ended up going with a Noctua NH-D14 cooler, P8P68P PRO MOBO, and a GTX 570 card (kinda broke the bank). Left the rest of the system alone. Got a good deal on a 60 gig Patriot SSD as well. I now have only 2 questions to ask:

1.) Should I use my SSD for my OS only? For quick boots. OR maybe add a driver or two or a game or two on there as well? With a 60gig SSD what should I put on there?

2.) For an everyday OC that won't effect the lifespan of my rig what is a safe clock speed to go with? like 4.3 maybe? I should just leave all my voltages alone right?

Suttlebutts

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Imo if you are going to get a SSD get one that can atleast hold the OS/1 or 2 games/a few apps

They really improve the speed of everyday functions which is why its best to spend around $200 on one.

I like the Crucial M4 128GB alot and they just added a new firmware update that improved its performance alot. Its a Marvell controller instead of a Sandforce so you won't see problems like you do with most other SSDs but just do some research and find the right storage capacity vs speed vs price vs quality for you.

The amount you overclock depends on how well your pc is cooled. The cooler the pc runs the easier it is to safetly overclock without depreciating your cpus life.

I guess i'll base the speed of the OC on what temps i want to cap at then.

I went with a 60 gig SSD. It has a sandforce controller. Would I want to use it strictly for my OS? Or could I put a game and a few applications on there as well? I guess it comes down to how much of the 60 gigs I want to use up?

hunuok

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
With Windows, Office etc, you will probably have enough for a couple of games. File transfers and program load times will be fast.

Just remember:

1. don't format your SSD,
2. don't defragment your SSD.

Windows or a utility program that came with your SSD (you can d/load from their site) will take care of things for you.

You can d/load a program called SSD Tweaker which will optimize performance of your SSD.

Check manufacturer's site for firmware updates, as these can increase performance/stability.

Good luck and congrats on your build.