Solved

Got two problem with my HD 5830

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 30, 2011 2:17:59 PM

Hardware:

Mobo Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H
CPU Type QuadCore AMD Phenom X4 9850
RAM 4gb ddr2 800
Video Adapter ATI Radeon HD 5830 (Cypress)

Software:
Window XP 32bit
Windows 7 64bit

Problem: When i install it it worked fine untill i turned off the computer.

1) There is no display after i turn off the computer then put in back on, if i restart the computer it work but when i turn it off, I hv to remove the card and put it back in and turn on/off the computer serveral times for it to read. Its like the Bios wont hold the GPU info. Other cards work fine, and i sometime put another card in then put the 5830 back and it works.

2) GPU idles at 60, its not overclocked but it seems amd overdrive is making it run at 400mhz gpu clock and 1000mhz all the time, so it dont idle. Where i sure online that its run lower idle.

however when i lower it down manually the graphics on the computer flickers ALOT.

Number 1 is the real problem. Any help??

More about : problem 5830

June 30, 2011 2:22:56 PM

I may be wrong but if your gpu is hd 5830 why is CCC identifying it as a model from 5700 series?IIRC the 5830 is from 5800 series :??: 
m
l
June 30, 2011 2:59:48 PM

thats what i found online. im too lazy to take out a picture right now. Was jus an example!
m
l
Related resources
June 30, 2011 3:12:50 PM

dabread said:
thats what i found online. im too lazy to take out a picture right now. Was jus an example!

lol. then the pic you have just post serve no purpose at all
m
l
June 30, 2011 4:48:24 PM

i was to show that the memory and gpu speed it suppose to run at in idle. Didnt think 5770 has much of a difference to 5830 but i got that problem fix, its the booting issue im worry about!
m
l
June 30, 2011 4:56:00 PM

are you overclocking it?
m
l
June 30, 2011 6:56:27 PM

no im not. But i solved the problem. The Arrangement of the Ram was causeing the problem 2x1gb and 1x2gb. It boots up properly now.

Only problem i got now is that when the GPU runs at a low freq. My other screen flickers alot. but it smooths out when i run it at 400 gpu and 1000mhz memory, it just runs alittle warm. 60C but it don;t pass 75c when playing games so im iight i guess.
m
l
June 30, 2011 7:02:26 PM

dabread said:
no im not. But i solved the problem. The Arrangement of the Ram was causeing the problem 2x1gb and 1x2gb. It boots up properly now.

Only problem i got now is that when the GPU runs at a low freq. My other screen flickers alot. but it smooths out when i run it at 400 gpu and 1000mhz memory, it just runs alittle warm. 60C but it don;t pass 75c when playing games so im iight i guess.

so that's mean you have 3 sticks of RAM installed? honestly i never heard about RAM arrangement affecting GPU temperature :heink: 
m
l
June 30, 2011 10:34:02 PM

You right, the problem come back. I thinks the GPU has a problem. It restarted three times properly but its still giving me the same problem. I should try on a different computer.
m
l
June 30, 2011 10:36:48 PM

renz496 said:
so that's mean you have 3 sticks of RAM installed? honestly i never heard about RAM arrangement affecting GPU temperature :heink: 

'

The GPU is not overheating, It spins and everything but it wont display.
m
l
June 30, 2011 10:38:25 PM

Might just be CCC issue. Try different drivers.
m
l
June 30, 2011 10:50:15 PM

Used the drivers it came with same problem updated the drivers same problem.
m
l
July 1, 2011 2:25:13 AM

Is this card new to this system, or had it worked properly for a long time and now it's suddenly begun to act up?

I have the same board, but mine has an X2 Kuma 7850 and an HD4850. I've never had issues with it using XP, Vista, or Windows 7.

I would personally suspect software (drivers) in most cases, but not before ruling out other problems. You've not mentioned what PSU you're using, so let's start there... What make and model is it?
m
l
July 1, 2011 10:45:21 AM

thanks for the reply. My PSU is a 550W Its says AGS series. Its kinna crappy dont see a model number. Do you think its the power. I connect the card using the converter; molex to pci e.

How can it be the drivers when it works, but jus not all the time. It worked when i turned it on just now, after a nites sleep, but it still has the issue.
m
l
July 1, 2011 10:46:09 AM

The card is new.
m
l

Best solution

July 1, 2011 10:48:22 PM

First, Power:
The shutdown/crash issue is sometimes indicative of power issues. Having to resort to removing and reseating a card isn't necessarily so, as it is often something physical with the card or the slot. But now that we know it's basically a No-name brand PSU, I lean towards a lack of power causing the issue.

That PSU's 550W rating is probably a peak-rating, which is measured under the most ideal conditions and often inflated by no-name brands to begin with. That or it's completely theoretical based on parts used and design. Because you were additionally forced to use a MOLEX converter to power the card, I really think it's a lack of 12V output capability causing the issue. I simply doubt your PSU can deliver the output your system needs to run with that card installed. Until you can test your setup using a PSU that you know is capable of powering it, you can't rule out the possibility that the current PSU is at fault.

Second, Software/Drivers:
I mentioned drivers because not everyone installs the correct ones for their machine. While Catalyst install packages have an OS compatibility self-check, you said you tried a couple different versions. Sometimes drivers don't uninstall fully, and that alone can create issues. If you're confident you installed the correct version without complication, I'm satisfied you did as well.

Any chance you've got a friend with a good PSU whose PC you could try this card within? Or another PSU you can use to test within your own system?

If you can't find another setup or PSU to test with the card, there are plenty of high-quality PSU's that can easily handle that setup in the $40-$50 range at Newegg.
July 2, 2011 6:51:03 AM

Best answer selected by dabread.
m
l
July 2, 2011 6:55:41 AM

I think its the PSU, il go check it next week at a friend.

But just one most thing iv noted is that;

When the computer is off for a while it always come on, and when its on for a while i get a faint plastic burnt smell looks like its from the psu.

It definatly the PSU, will test them both(PSU&GPU)

Thanks.
m
l
July 2, 2011 7:09:01 AM

You're welcome. I hope things turn out well. And if that PSU smells burnt, don't screw with it anymore. You could damage other components if it pops.
m
l
!