Sign in with
Your question

PSU help

Last response: in Components
December 1, 2011 7:14:06 AM

Hello,
I'm trying to buy a power supply for my haf 912 case and I have my heart set on getting the Thermaltake Toughpower Grand TPG-850M but I'm not quite sure it fits in the case because it has weird dimensions, I would really like to know if it fits before committing to a purchase. I've tried searching everywhere and asking as many people I can but they don't know.

More about : psu

December 1, 2011 7:54:22 AM

Actually I guess to make this post a little more complicated...
I'm trying to find a good power supply for my rig, I plan on crossfiring in the future so it needs to be able to support high end video cards.
This is the system I'm building:

CAS: CoolerMaster HAF 912 Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Adjustable HDD Cage (Black Color)
CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
COOLANT: Standard Coolant
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-2700K 3.50 GHz 8MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 (All Venom OC Certified)
CS_FAN: Maximum 120MM Case Cooling Fans for your selected case
FAN: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) (Single Standard 120MM Fan)
HDD: * 120 GB ADATA S511 SATA-III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 550MB/s Read & 510MB/s Write (Single Drive)
HDD2: 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)
IEEE_CARD: None
IUSB: Internal USB 3.0 4-Port Hub
MEMORY: 16GB (4GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Vengeance)
MOTHERBOARD: [CrossFireX/SLI] ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 Intel Z68 ATX Mainboard w/ Lucid Virtu,
Intel SRT, UEFI & 7.1 THX TruStudio Audio, GbLAN, HDMI, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 3 Gen3 PCIe X16, 2 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
SPEAKERS: None
TEMP: Aerocool Touch 2000 Dual Bay Touch Screen Fan Control
VIDEO: AMD Radeon HD 6950 2GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by AMD)
VIDEO2: None
VIDEO3: None
m
l
a c 87 ) Power supply
December 1, 2011 11:05:57 AM

The Toughpower Grand 850W is 18cm long.
The Hardwaresecrets review of the HAF 912 stated that PSUs up to 20cm could fit. But you would also have to consider the clearance for cables (native and modular). So it will fit, it would be a bit more difficult to build in, but if you are not building it yourself then you don't necessarily have to worry.
You also have the option of removing the 2.5" drive section that is usually on the floor of the case - or just moving it as shown in this review (3rd picture on this page):
http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/cooler_master_haf_...

There are plenty of high quality 750 & 850W PSUs which are shorter than 18cm.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 2, 2011 3:41:06 AM

I ended up buying the corsair AX850 because it's was on sale on newegg today, and cyberpowerpc is building my computer but since I was stupid and didn't get a better powersupply with them other than their base one I decided to do some research(which I should have done in the first place) and buy my own psu then put it in myself, that way I can test the connections of the other plugs and make sure everything is screwed down properly...
m
l
a c 1197 ) Power supply
December 2, 2011 4:00:05 AM

The Seasonic made Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 (CMPSU-850AX) is a way better power supply unit than the Sirtec made Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 850W (TP-850AH3CSG) anyway.

So you made the right decision getting the Corsair unit.
m
l
!