Sign in with
Your question

Help please i'm in a dilemma .(Upgrade).

Last response: in Systems
September 1, 2011 4:02:42 PM

Hello everyone i'm in a dilemma .
At the moment i'm on a AMD setup which is as follows ,processor AMD 1090t @ 4ghz , M/B msi 890FXA-GD70 ,8g ram , msi gtx480.
I have enough spare cash at the moment to get my self a gtx 580 ,from what i have read that's about 15 - 20 percent faster then the 480, but for the same money ,give or take a few quid i could swap over to an Intel setup with a i5 2600k and a z68 chipset M/B and keep my gtx480.
Or would it be wise to wait for AMD bulldozer. What do u think . PS pc is used for gaming mostly
Thanks for any advice .
PS I only have 380 quid spare and need to spend it before the wife finds and spends on more F-ing handbags.

More about : dilemma upgrade

September 1, 2011 4:16:24 PM

by the time the bulldozer comes out intel will have something better out or on the horizon to stomp it. as for the 580 do you really need 15-20% more ? What games do you play?
September 1, 2011 4:23:48 PM

mainly for BF3 ,i was in the alpha testing for the game and to be honest with you i could only have the BF3 on medium setting or i would suffer lowish fps in heavy combat , i no it was only alpha but i have a few friends on a Intel i5 setups saying it ran as smooth as silk for them. ps 32inch lcd @ 1920X1080
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
September 1, 2011 5:47:05 PM

Unless there is some rush, I'd wait until the end of the month and see where Bulldozer pricing and performance is at.
September 1, 2011 5:53:45 PM

Go for the i5 chances are it will be cheaper and faster then the bulldozer chip.
September 1, 2011 6:50:41 PM

beenthere i think i will take your advice and wait ,if the benchmarks are not up to Intel i5s for gaming i will swap for a Intel setup . As for swapping a 480 for a 580 i have now decided that its not worth the small fps gain i will get. Im not bothered about the niose nor the power comsumption dirfferance between the 480 and 580 . thanks for the advice .
September 1, 2011 6:55:01 PM

vigilante212 said:
Go for the i5 chances are it will be cheaper and faster then the bulldozer chip.
Hopefully the Bulldozer will be up to intels level so i don't have to rebuild the PC . As just swapping processor is a quick job. Thanks for advice :)  :bounce: 
September 1, 2011 7:32:27 PM

Wow I just can't believe the game is so CPU intense that it's slowing down a 4Ghz processor that much. For gaming usually there is very little diffrence between AMD and Intel. Does going to Med setting also drop the Physics and destruction? Thats what would be taxing your CPU.
September 1, 2011 7:42:12 PM

Yes it defo the physics ,that's the reason for swapping over to Intel as the i5 chips spank the arse of amd chips at the moment,or all the benchmark point that way.
fingers crossed the new bulldozer might solve that problem, if not i'm going to swap to Intel. When i built my PC about 8 months ago i was on a tight budget that's why i went with amd .I now wish i had waited a bit longer and took intel as my 1st choice.
September 1, 2011 8:14:40 PM

Yeah me too, I've running a 955 with a nice overclock and am waiting for Bulldozer before my next build to see the price/preformance diffrence but I'm board of waiting and it's gaming season!!!
September 1, 2011 8:21:37 PM

snap .
September 1, 2011 9:45:10 PM

jason-uk said:
Hello everyone i'm in a dilemma .
At the moment i'm on a AMD setup which is as follows ,processor AMD 1090t @ 4ghz , M/B msi 890FXA-GD70 ,8g ram , msi gtx480.
I have enough spare cash at the moment to get my self a gtx 580 ,from what i have read that's about 15 - 20 percent faster then the 480, but for the same money ,give or take a few quid i could swap over to an Intel setup with a i5 2600k and a z68 chipset M/B and keep my gtx480.
Or would it be wise to wait for AMD bulldozer. What do u think . PS pc is used for gaming mostly
Thanks for any advice .
PS I only have 380 quid spare and need to spend it before the wife finds and spends on more F-ing handbags.

Trust me, I TOTALLY know what you are going through... haha. Handbags and shoes are a necessities, everything else is luxury. ( specially electronics / pc and the like )

I have a somewhat similar setup in term of performance. I have a i5-750 and a ATI 5850. I have the same kind of cash to put on an upgrade and was wondering if I should buy a mega cooler and overclock, upgrade GPU, upgrade mobo+processor, etc.

My decision?

Wait for the game to released and see the benchmarks / forums. That 400$ will be worth "more" and we should know about the bulldozer then.
September 2, 2011 12:05:09 AM

I find it hard to believe that a 4+core cpu at 4ghz with a gtx 480 can't run BF3 maxed out, I personally think spending all that money to switch over to a totally different platform or a totally different gpu are HUGE wastes of money. Sandy bridge might be spanking amd's best offerings, but no matter how you put it, there is no game out there that a good amd cpu can't run maxed out.
September 2, 2011 10:14:41 AM

trembl27 said:
Trust me, I TOTALLY know what you are going through... haha. Handbags and shoes are a necessities, everything else is luxury. ( specially electronics / pc and the like )

I have a somewhat similar setup in term of performance. I have a i5-750 and a ATI 5850. I have the same kind of cash to put on an upgrade and was wondering if I should buy a mega cooler and overclock, upgrade GPU, upgrade mobo+processor, etc.

My decision?

Wait for the game to released and see the benchmarks / forums. That 400$ will be worth "more" and we should know about the bulldozer then.

Well after all the advice it would seem i'm not the only one in this dilemma , I take your advice and wait ,but it feels like Ive been waiting for to long already
thanks for your time.
September 2, 2011 10:23:05 AM

holdingholder said:
I find it hard to believe that a 4+core cpu at 4ghz with a gtx 480 can't run BF3 maxed out, I personally think spending all that money to switch over to a totally different platform or a totally different gpu are HUGE wastes of money. Sandy bridge might be spanking amd's best offerings, but no matter how you put it, there is no game out there that a good amd cpu can't run maxed out.

Well BF3, it was only a alpha, and i suppose that when the full build comes out it should be better optimized and possibly run smoother . O i forgot we have Beta that's dew to start this month and i looking forwards to this ,fingers crossed that it my run smoother than the Alpha . thanks again for advice and time .
!