Sign in with
Your question
Closed

4 pin molex from fans can't connect to 4 pin power molex

Last response: in Components
December 1, 2011 12:49:38 PM

Hi, so my case has fans hooked up to a controller, and then the controller has a 4 pin male connector hanging out. I am having problems connecting this male molex to the female molex coming from my power box. The male's pins are not lining up exactly, and even after I kind of rearrange them it still won't go in. Is there a way to fix the lining up of the molex, or replace it with a possible extra or such?

NZXT Phantom Case, ASUS Crosshair IV, Rosewill 1000W Modular Power

Thanks for any help
a c 91 ) Power supply
December 1, 2011 1:08:38 PM

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums!

If the connectors are both 4-pins Molex, they will plug in. The Molex pins are sloppy inside the plastic housing and sometimes some force is required. Make sure that you match them up correctly; the connectors are polarized and are meant to be plugged in only one way.

Once plugged in, some force will be required to unplug them.
Score
December 1, 2011 2:02:59 PM

I believe I matched them up correctly because one side won't go in at all, and the other side goes in then stops. For the side that kind of goes in, I feel I applied enough force, but maybe not. Is it necessary to rearrange the pins manually, or should pressing hard enough force them into their slots? I true rearranging the pins by moving them around in their holes a bit trying to make them line up but to no avail.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a c 91 ) Power supply
December 1, 2011 2:58:33 PM

matthew1111 said:
I believe I matched them up correctly because one side won't go in at all, and the other side goes in then stops. For the side that kind of goes in, I feel I applied enough force, but maybe not. Is it necessary to rearrange the pins manually, or should pressing hard enough force them into their slots? I true rearranging the pins by moving them around in their holes a bit trying to make them line up but to no avail.

You did right! Use a little extra force to push them together. I too wondered about this in the beginning, but now I am used to exerting quite a bit of force to plug them together.
December 1, 2011 3:59:29 PM

Okay thanks for the morale boost :p  I'll try when I get home...it won't break if I press TOO hard, right? :) 
Score
a c 91 ) Power supply
December 1, 2011 4:08:38 PM

matthew1111 said:
Okay thanks for the morale boost :p  I'll try when I get home...it won't break if I press TOO hard, right? :) 

No, it won't break! Use some force and push them together. Unplugging them also will take a lot of force. The pins as well as the mating parts are made from sheet metal in high speed (1,200 strokes/min.) progressive dies. Then plated and inserted into the plastic housing. This is why they are hard to mate.

Difficult to plug-in - difficult to unplug.
Score
December 1, 2011 4:39:21 PM

And difficult to break! :D 
Okay thank you very much for your help so far, I'll try when I get home today! :) 
Score
a c 91 ) Power supply
December 1, 2011 4:42:06 PM

matthew1111 said:
And difficult to break! :D 
Okay thank you very much for your help so far, I'll try when I get home today! :) 

:) 

These things are made in Auburn Hills, MI.
Score
December 2, 2011 1:16:57 AM

It plugged in!
Score
a c 155 ) Power supply
December 2, 2011 2:54:32 AM

Aren't Molex connectors the most miserable thing ever designed!? I hate those things. Isn't about time the industry abandons those 1980s connectors?
Score
December 2, 2011 4:22:48 AM

For Sata? I believe they were switching over to them a bit. My hard drive takes a data now instead of a molex.
Score
a c 243 ) Power supply
December 2, 2011 9:40:42 AM

clutchc said:
Aren't Molex connectors the most miserable thing ever designed!? I hate those things. Isn't about time the industry abandons those 1980s connectors?

http://www.molex.com/molex/index.jsp;jsessionid=hkV97RKmny0yvMh0Q6QMTQ**.node0

Score
a c 91 ) Power supply
December 2, 2011 10:27:15 AM

matthew1111 said:
It plugged in!

Great! Now leave it plugged in; unplugging is also a hassle; takes a lot of force! This is because of the manufacturing process that I mentioned earlier.
Score
December 2, 2011 10:54:13 AM

Best answer selected by Matthew1111.
Score
December 2, 2011 10:56:29 AM

No need to unplug it :) 
Thanks for all your help - I just started my computer for the first time and there were no explosions haha! Installed Windows 7 as well.
Score
!