Closed Solved

4 pin molex from fans can't connect to 4 pin power molex

Hi, so my case has fans hooked up to a controller, and then the controller has a 4 pin male connector hanging out. I am having problems connecting this male molex to the female molex coming from my power box. The male's pins are not lining up exactly, and even after I kind of rearrange them it still won't go in. Is there a way to fix the lining up of the molex, or replace it with a possible extra or such?

NZXT Phantom Case, ASUS Crosshair IV, Rosewill 1000W Modular Power

Thanks for any help
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about molex fans connect power molex
  1. Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums!

If the connectors are both 4-pins Molex, they will plug in. The Molex pins are sloppy inside the plastic housing and sometimes some force is required. Make sure that you match them up correctly; the connectors are polarized and are meant to be plugged in only one way.

Once plugged in, some force will be required to unplug them.
  2. I believe I matched them up correctly because one side won't go in at all, and the other side goes in then stops. For the side that kind of goes in, I feel I applied enough force, but maybe not. Is it necessary to rearrange the pins manually, or should pressing hard enough force them into their slots? I true rearranging the pins by moving them around in their holes a bit trying to make them line up but to no avail.
  3. Best answer
    matthew1111 said:
    I believe I matched them up correctly because one side won't go in at all, and the other side goes in then stops. For the side that kind of goes in, I feel I applied enough force, but maybe not. Is it necessary to rearrange the pins manually, or should pressing hard enough force them into their slots? I true rearranging the pins by moving them around in their holes a bit trying to make them line up but to no avail.

You did right! Use a little extra force to push them together. I too wondered about this in the beginning, but now I am used to exerting quite a bit of force to plug them together.
  4. Okay thanks for the morale boost :P I'll try when I get home...it won't break if I press TOO hard, right? :)
  5. matthew1111 said:
    Okay thanks for the morale boost :P I'll try when I get home...it won't break if I press TOO hard, right? :)

No, it won't break! Use some force and push them together. Unplugging them also will take a lot of force. The pins as well as the mating parts are made from sheet metal in high speed (1,200 strokes/min.) progressive dies. Then plated and inserted into the plastic housing. This is why they are hard to mate.

Difficult to plug-in - difficult to unplug.
  6. And difficult to break! :D
    Okay thank you very much for your help so far, I'll try when I get home today! :)
  7. matthew1111 said:
    And difficult to break! :D
    Okay thank you very much for your help so far, I'll try when I get home today! :)

:)

These things are made in Auburn Hills, MI.
  8. It plugged in!
  9. Aren't Molex connectors the most miserable thing ever designed!? I hate those things. Isn't about time the industry abandons those 1980s connectors?
  10. For Sata? I believe they were switching over to them a bit. My hard drive takes a data now instead of a molex.
  11. clutchc said:
    Aren't Molex connectors the most miserable thing ever designed!? I hate those things. Isn't about time the industry abandons those 1980s connectors?

http://www.molex.com/molex/index.jsp;jsessionid=hkV97RKmny0yvMh0Q6QMTQ**.node0
  12. matthew1111 said:
    It plugged in!

Great! Now leave it plugged in; unplugging is also a hassle; takes a lot of force! This is because of the manufacturing process that I mentioned earlier.
  13. Best answer selected by Matthew1111.
  14. No need to unplug it :)
    Thanks for all your help - I just started my computer for the first time and there were no explosions haha! Installed Windows 7 as well.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Controller Cases Power Components