Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Mouse and keyboard failure

Last response: in Components
December 1, 2011 12:51:20 PM

I am new to this site and honestly, not that great with hardware. I have changed out a few hard drives, put in some memory and so on, but I am over my head now.

I hav a dell 4300 with 1G ram, Xp, two hards drives, one 40g and one 80g. all of a sudden the mouse quit working then on a reboot i got a keyboard failure message. The computer will boot and the keyboard actually sort of works sometimes. I guess just can't remember how to do anything with a keyboard.. I'm lost without a mouse, sadly. But the mouse works in another computer so I know its good. I have another computer but i need the data off the hard drives and my local tech place wants $90 an hour to transfer the hard drives to my external. My computer illiteracy has me at a standstill. HELP! BTW, I put the 40g hard drive in the other computer but it won't boot. Blue screen saying windows couldn't load and uninstall any hard drive and run chkdsk /f. Where do I go from here?

More about : mouse keyboard failure

December 1, 2011 1:09:34 PM

kmalacara said:
I am new to this site and honestly, not that great with hardware. I have changed out a few hard drives, put in some memory and so on, but I am over my head now.

I hav a dell 4300 with 1G ram, Xp, two hards drives, one 40g and one 80g. all of a sudden the mouse quit working then on a reboot i got a keyboard failure message. The computer will boot and the keyboard actually sort of works sometimes. I guess just can't remember how to do anything with a keyboard.. I'm lost without a mouse, sadly. But the mouse works in another computer so I know its good. I have another computer but i need the data off the hard drives and my local tech place wants $90 an hour to transfer the hard drives to my external. My computer illiteracy has me at a standstill. HELP! BTW, I put the 40g hard drive in the other computer but it won't boot. Blue screen saying windows couldn't load and uninstall any hard drive and run chkdsk /f. Where do I go from here?

Score
December 1, 2011 1:10:52 PM

Take it they are IDE HDDs?

Ok, the 40Gb drive will need to be set as "Slave", to do this look on the drive near the ide and power connetions, there should be a jumper set with "master", "slave" and "CS" (CS is cable select), set it to slave and try to get the drive an a 2nd ide cable if you can, use the cd/dvd ide cable for now.

When you boot it should then show up as a 2nd drive and you can take off whatever you need.

As it is now and if you have windows on both drives your computer is thinking there are 2 master drives and having a problem.

Hope that helps you some. :) 
Score
Related resources
December 1, 2011 1:16:07 PM

Welcome to Tom's hardware Forums!

If the keyboard and mouse works intermittently, then the connection is not good. Sometimes this happens when a USB hub is used for the mouse and keyboard.

Try plugging in the mouse and keyboard directly into the rear ports of the computer. Restart the computer.

Regarding switching the 40 GB hard disk to another computer - if it has the Operating System on it, it will not boot the other computer. Operating Systems cannot be transferred from one computer to another on stock computers from Dell, HP, Compaq, etc.
Score
December 1, 2011 1:31:44 PM

Yes they are both IDE HDD's. I'll try that! Thanks so much!

Score
December 1, 2011 1:37:07 PM

It's weird, the mouse doesn't work at all on my computer and the keyboard does but they both work in my work compouter. Initially the mouse was plugged into the mouse port on the back. That's where it was when it quit working then I plugged the mouse into into every USB port on my computer and also tried my son's mouse on it and his mouse wouldn't work either.

Thanks

Karen
Score

Best solution

December 1, 2011 1:41:52 PM

Re-install the right driver.
December 12, 2011 3:20:10 PM

Ubrales said:
Re-install the right driver.

Woohoo! The right answer! I love you Ubrales!!!!! I reinstalled the driver and it's working. It did take me a while because I am mouse-spoiled. I couldn't remember how to do anything on a keyboard except type!
Score
December 13, 2011 12:12:02 AM

kmalacara said:
Woohoo! The right answer! I love you Ubrales!!!!! I reinstalled the driver and it's working. It did take me a while because I am mouse-spoiled. I couldn't remember how to do anything on a keyboard except type!

:)  Glad it worked! Use the keyboard AND the mouse alternately. This will maintain your skill in both.

And there are some programs like Autocad, where the command can be either typed in full, or by typing a shortcut, or by using the drop down menu. On such programs, use all three methods alternately, just to maintain your expertise and skill.
Score
December 20, 2011 12:18:53 PM

Best answer selected by kmalacara.
Score
December 20, 2011 3:41:50 PM

Thank you!
Score
!