Problem MSI 6950 2 gb card

PCNewbie2011

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
So I am a complete newbie when it comes to PC building. Based on my prior research, I ordered the ASRock 890gm pro3 MB and MSI 6950 2 gb card along with AMD phenom 1100 cpu. I was able to see the image (MB Bios page) on my monitor when I connected a VGA/HDMI cable directly to the MB's onboard VGA/HDMI output. However, when I connected the wires to the 6950's relevant outputs there was no image? Is there anything I need to do before I connect the wires to 6950? Or is the video card bad?

PCNewbie2011

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
I disabled the onboard graphics card after installing the MSI graphics card software and was still not able to see anything on the monitor. The MB beeped with a code that indicated that the output device was not detected. I tried both PCI-E slots and same result. What do you guys think? If I have to RMA the card, I'll need to do it tomorrow to be within the 30 day window.

PCNewbie2011

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
Ciarlattano, yes I had both power cables seated properly (as indicated by the running graphics card fan) and the power supply is a Corsair TX 850 which I believe is fairly adequate.

It looks like your mobo and the GPU aren't comunicating properl if you got that error beep.Could be that the PCB is dirty and all of the connectors aren't connected but what I think is the issue is that you've got a defective card.

At a last attempt at troubleshooting you could make sure you've done a couple things before you do the RMA.Take a q-tip,dip it in rubbing alchol and clean the PCB that connects the card to the mobo.After letting it dry re seat the card and make sure the card is fully seated.Also make sure all power plugs are fully seated.
The mobo gave an error that it wasn't able to dectect the card so it's not a power issue but likely a comunication issue.Gooodluck.

RMA it and hope for a better one.

PCNewbie2011

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
Will do that purple stank. I actually have another sapphire 6950 card and it has the same issue. Could it be possible that both cards are defective? I purchased the cards at 2 different times so if the sapphire is also bad, I'll have to send it back to the manufacturer. Hoping that the q-tip solution helps. On another note, how do I confirm that I have completely seated the graphics card?

Just make sure all of the gold looking contact points are fully into the slot,if one side isn't in fully it won't make full contact.Try looking ontop and under to see if it is fully seated.

Well if you've tryed 2 different cards then it could be the mobo.ASRock doesn't exactly make the best type of quality compoents so it is very likely that could be the issue the whole time.

RMA the mobo before you RMA the cards.I'm thinking it's the mobo.It's possible but chances are slim that you have 2 defective cards.