Sign in with
Your question

will a PCI Express Express Bus specification v2 1 work in a express bus v1 0

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 30, 2011 8:59:59 PM

Hi I have been watching films and video from my PC to my 32in TV with a SVGA connection but my on board graphics card will not allow me to increase my resolution to 1080p without juddering/skipping.
I have found a Graphics card which has great reviews and would like to install in in my unused PCI X16 v1.0 slot
Will a PCI Express XFX ATI Radeon™ HD 5450 graphics card 2.1 work in a PCI Express Bus specification v1.0a compliant.
My PC is a emachine E4036 Pentium 4, 3.2ghz with 2GB Ram.
Thanks Geoff.
June 30, 2011 9:00:29 PM

yes. pci express is fully backwards compatible. it will work
June 30, 2011 9:16:52 PM

r3xx3r said:
yes. pci express is fully backwards compatible. it will work

thanks for that r3xx3r I will get out and buy.
Do you think it will solve my problem.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
June 30, 2011 9:18:37 PM

No your motherboard is likely to old to actually support 2.1
a c 355 U Graphics card
June 30, 2011 9:21:23 PM

You may have issues. Some people have reported issues installing a PCI-e 2.1 card in a PCI-e 1.x slot.

In some cases it seems to have been resolved with a motherboard BIOS upgrade to fix the potential issue. But brand name computer companies do not usually provide BIOS updates often, if at all.

Your best bet is to buy a PCI-e 2.0 HD 5450 like the following for $35 after a rebate. Just be aware that it is really to weak too play modern games if that's the goal.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
June 30, 2011 9:32:24 PM

mute20 said:
No your motherboard is likely to old to actually support 2.1

Thanks for the info mute20.

I will now rethink.
There must be something better than the on board graphics card with a bit more power
that will slot into my empty PCI Express v 1.0 slot to give me higher graphics.

June 30, 2011 9:37:28 PM

jaguarskx said:
You may have issues. Some people have reported issues installing a PCI-e 2.1 card in a PCI-e 1.x slot.

In some cases it seems to have been resolved with a motherboard BIOS upgrade to fix the potential issue. But brand name computer companies do not usually provide BIOS updates often, if at all.

Your best bet is to buy a PCI-e 2.0 HD 5450 like the following for $35 after a rebate. Just be aware that it is really to weak too play modern games if that's the goal.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thanks jaguarskx.
its for watching films/videos in a higher res.
!