will a PCI Express Express Bus specification v2 1 work in a express bus v1 0

Hi I have been watching films and video from my PC to my 32in TV with a SVGA connection but my on board graphics card will not allow me to increase my resolution to 1080p without juddering/skipping.
I have found a Graphics card which has great reviews and would like to install in in my unused PCI X16 v1.0 slot
Will a PCI Express XFX ATI Radeon™ HD 5450 graphics card 2.1 work in a PCI Express Bus specification v1.0a compliant.
My PC is a emachine E4036 Pentium 4, 3.2ghz with 2GB Ram.
Thanks Geoff.
6 answers Last reply
More about express express specification work express
  1. yes. pci express is fully backwards compatible. it will work
  2. r3xx3r said:
    yes. pci express is fully backwards compatible. it will work


    thanks for that r3xx3r I will get out and buy.
    Do you think it will solve my problem.
  3. No your motherboard is likely to old to actually support 2.1
  4. You may have issues. Some people have reported issues installing a PCI-e 2.1 card in a PCI-e 1.x slot.

    In some cases it seems to have been resolved with a motherboard BIOS upgrade to fix the potential issue. But brand name computer companies do not usually provide BIOS updates often, if at all.

    Your best bet is to buy a PCI-e 2.0 HD 5450 like the following for $35 after a rebate. Just be aware that it is really to weak too play modern games if that's the goal.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127557
  5. mute20 said:
    No your motherboard is likely to old to actually support 2.1


    Thanks for the info mute20.

    I will now rethink.
    There must be something better than the on board graphics card with a bit more power
    that will slot into my empty PCI Express v 1.0 slot to give me higher graphics.
  6. jaguarskx said:
    You may have issues. Some people have reported issues installing a PCI-e 2.1 card in a PCI-e 1.x slot.

    In some cases it seems to have been resolved with a motherboard BIOS upgrade to fix the potential issue. But brand name computer companies do not usually provide BIOS updates often, if at all.

    Your best bet is to buy a PCI-e 2.0 HD 5450 like the following for $35 after a rebate. Just be aware that it is really to weak too play modern games if that's the goal.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127557


    Thanks jaguarskx.
    its for watching films/videos in a higher res.
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Bus Graphics Cards PCI Express Graphics Product