Will my motherboard survive without a chipset cooler

Sammy0593

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
hi there, i have a Xilence XP-CS chipset cooler and it started to make noise recently. it makes noise when i'm starting the computer for 1 minute then it goes to silence and sometimes, randomly it starts to make noise and again for like 1 minute.i'm also short on money, should i buy a chipset cooler without fan like this one? http://www.pcgarage.ro/ventilatoare-radiatoare/coolink/mainboard-silencer/ or i could disconnect it from the power source, someone told me that the motherboard would die without a chipset cooler and one other guy suggested me to disconnect it from the power source because nothing bad would happen. i'm also playing some games like: batman arkham city, witcher 2, cryisis, sleeping dogs, games with good graphics.

Most modern MOBO's primary Chipset needs some form of cooling either Active (fan) or Passive (heatsink grill) -- so if your MOBO came with an Active cooler then I'd stick to Active or visa-versa and if you OC then cooling becomes even more important.

Yeah, more than likely you'll corrupt data and the MOBO will fail or shutdown (hopefully) when the chipset gets too hot.

Have you tried to clean the Xilence XP-CS cooler's fan?

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
I'd be very cautious about running the system without proper chipset cooling. CPUs have thermal cut offs to prevent people from burning up their CPUs if they don't mount the HSF properly, but chipsets come premounted with heat sinks so I don't know if they have as extensive thermal protections. You run the risk of releasing the magic white smoke ;)

Sammy0593

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
i tried to clean it only with a gas duster but it seems that i didn't solved anything. i will just buy another one some day soon and it surely won't be the same cooler.

Sammy0593

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012

thanks, i'll try that

Don't let fans spin with using a 'gas duster', my guess is dust/debris has gotten into the fan motor. 'Some' fans can be cleaned by removing the fan blade assembly, I haven't a clue about yours. I would try a Q-Tip and clean underneath the fan before removing it.