How to tell if im using too much power out of my surge protector?

Status
Not open for further replies.

k1ngkev1n1

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2010
I currently have a belkin conserve surge protector with 8 outlets. I have everyone slot used. I have 2 monitors, 1 computer, printer, speakers, light, modem, hard drive. Is this too much power for the surge protector or outlet?> I only ask because last night my surge protector shut off and completly turned off my computer. twice. Can it be due to too much power demand?

please help thanks!

Solution
Presuming it is plugged into a socket that is on a 15amp breaker which would trip before the protector gets overloaded and catches fire! There might be other things on the same breaker causing it to trip. There should be an amp rating for your SP somewhere on it.
Presuming it is plugged into a socket that is on a 15amp breaker which would trip before the protector gets overloaded and catches fire! There might be other things on the same breaker causing it to trip. There should be an amp rating for your SP somewhere on it.

Solution

k1ngkev1n1

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2010

Well i have two oulets on one wall. on one outlet i have a belkin surge protector and on the other outlet about 6 feet to the right i have another surge protector with my tv, DVR, ps3 and chargers and light plugged in. Maybe if these two outlets are on the same breaker could be causeing a problem when both are on?

On top of that you might have two other rooms on that breaker as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.