Sign in with
Your question

Cool'n'Quiet: lowering performance?

Last response: in CPUs
December 1, 2011 5:46:48 PM

Hi,

Just went through BIOS setting and decided to switch off Cool'n'Quiet for my AMD.
Before i decided to ask i went through few posts i've found and read the opinions.
There are quite few people that reckon this Cool'n'Quiet is slowing down performance in games.

Arguments was different but mainly: CPU is not coming back to full performance when stroke with heavy load ( on 1 or more cores ),
delays in speeding back up etc...

Also apparently this loss is not worth of saving few watts?

Whats your opinion?
a b à CPUs
December 1, 2011 5:56:28 PM

I've never noticed any loss of performance with Cool n Quiet or SpeedStep.
December 1, 2011 8:55:54 PM

TamLin said:
Hi,

Just went through BIOS setting and decided to switch off Cool'n'Quiet for my AMD.
Before i decided to ask i went through few posts i've found and read the opinions.
There are quite few people that reckon this Cool'n'Quiet is slowing down performance in games.

Arguments was different but mainly: CPU is not coming back to full performance when stroke with heavy load ( on 1 or more cores ),
delays in speeding back up etc...

Also apparently this loss is not worth of saving few watts?

Whats your opinion?

You can use PhenomMsrTweaker to customize CnQ to your liking, including adjusting how much load triggers the various p-states and he actual multiplier settings for each state, which should alleviate potential performance issues that may arise from p-state switching while giving you some level of power-saving when idle. Assuming you're using a Phenom II or variant, you could set the upper level p-states all to full speed, and just leave the idle p-state alone, as well, with the same tool.
Related resources
December 2, 2011 12:39:40 AM

I 've never anything like this..
a c 83 à CPUs
December 2, 2011 1:01:14 AM

Phenom 1 had problems and showed a loss of performance with Cool n Quiet enabled because individual cores could clock up and down, Phenom II corrected this issue and I haven't experienced, or seen any proof that it can reduce performance on Phenom II/Athlon II
a c 309 à CPUs
December 2, 2011 3:03:27 AM

No issues here either. I use it all the time on my PhII X4 980.
!