Sign in with
Your question

Difference between mid & full case?

Last response: in Components
December 1, 2011 6:10:58 PM

Hi all,

I bought an Antec P183 for my current build and to my surprise I wasn't able to fit 1 XFX Radeon HD 5870 in it without cutting a part of the card off. I though that a full tower meant more space. I saw some people in other threads with mid towers and running cards in crossfire and I wondered how it could be. My case is so tight that there would be no way for me to fit in another card like I have, (and it's a full tower!!)

Does full tower mean just more bays? How can I be sure that the next case I buy will fit a pair of Radeon 6970s?
a b ) Power supply
December 1, 2011 6:25:38 PM

You have to look at the internal dimensions to see if your future cards will fit in it. I have a Cooler Master 912 case that I could fit just about any GPU in it. It's a Mid-Tower design, but I can remove part of the HD section out and leave quite a bit of room for long GPU cards. Generally a Full tower case, just means that you have more room for more HD's/DVD's/etc. not necessarily more GPU room. It all depends on the manufacturer of the case if you have more room for a long GPU card.

BTW the p183 case at Newegg is listed as a Mid-tower case and looks like you can remove the middle HD tray and have plenty of room for a long GPU, but I could be wrong.
Link to Newegg's p183 case
m
l
December 1, 2011 6:29:16 PM

I'm going to re-examine the case to see if maybe I was just an idiot in my building of it hehe. Thanks for the info.
m
l
Related resources
December 1, 2011 6:29:17 PM

Full tower only means it is taller. It will at minimum hold an ATX motherboard, some HDDs, and a power supply. It has nothing to do with the depth or width of the case. Even then, full, mid, and mini tower sizes aren't standardized. ATX is standardized and Mid and Full towers can hold a ATX motherboard and sometimes larger.

The only way to make sure you can fit a graphics card is to look up the length of the card on the manufacturer's website and then look at what the case says it can hold (typically found on the manufacturer's website)
m
l
December 1, 2011 6:34:22 PM

The primary differences are the height, number of Bays and MOBO support. Unfortunately there is no exact standard of each.

Typical:
Mid-Tower 3~4 5-1/4" bays, and mATX and ATX support, 7 PCIe Expansion slots
Full-Tower 4+ 5-1/4" bays, and mATX, ATX, and many EATX support, 7+ PCIe Expansion slots
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 1, 2011 6:34:28 PM

I even measure the room in the case too, to verify the space available. You also have to keep in mind where the PCI-e power connector is coming out of the GPU and factor that into the equation.
m
l
a c 80 ) Power supply
December 1, 2011 6:40:55 PM

I too also thought that a full tower ment a huge case and I guess that different manufacturers make thier cases different from each other to a large degree. I can't imagine that you would have the trouble you are describing with a full tower. I will tell you this though if you want a huge case that is a full tower and will fit anything and everything , then get the Cooler Masater Half-X. I have one and I can attest to the fact that it has an enormos amount of space inside. I currently have three GTX 580 3gb Hydro Copper 2 video cards in there and the cards are 12" long and there is two more inches before I make contact with the hdd bays , so as long as the cards are not longer than 14" you can fit them. Since I have water cooling I also have two resevoirs and a 240 radiator inside as well , this case is huge. There are 5 internal drive bays and 6 external drive bays , one 230mm fan , three 200mm fans and a rear 140mm fan. I am very happy with this case and am happy I bought it. Another case that I had that I can tell you is big also is the Silverstone Temjin series Tj09 , there is a good amount of space in that case as well.
How were you able to cut a part of the video card off without damaging the card , I think I would have been cutting a part of the case rather than the card.
m
l
December 1, 2011 10:50:25 PM

inzone said:
I too also thought that a full tower ment a huge case and I guess that different manufacturers make thier cases different from each other to a large degree. I can't imagine that you would have the trouble you are describing with a full tower. I will tell you this though if you want a huge case that is a full tower and will fit anything and everything , then get the Cooler Masater Half-X. I have one and I can attest to the fact that it has an enormos amount of space inside. I currently have three GTX 580 3gb Hydro Copper 2 video cards in there and the cards are 12" long and there is two more inches before I make contact with the hdd bays , so as long as the cards are not longer than 14" you can fit them. Since I have water cooling I also have two resevoirs and a 240 radiator inside as well , this case is huge. There are 5 internal drive bays and 6 external drive bays , one 230mm fan , three 200mm fans and a rear 140mm fan. I am very happy with this case and am happy I bought it. Another case that I had that I can tell you is big also is the Silverstone Temjin series Tj09 , there is a good amount of space in that case as well.
How were you able to cut a part of the video card off without damaging the card , I think I would have been cutting a part of the case rather than the card.

I'm going to take another look and post a pic. It was very close and I was able to slice off part of the plastic air vent on one end without affecting the card.
m
l
a c 139 ) Power supply
December 1, 2011 11:08:03 PM

On the P183, I think you can remove the middle hard drive cage which should give you plenty of room.

Mid size and full size cases should be able to handle atx motherboards. If you have a eatx motherboard, you need to check the dimensions.

There are even some itx cases from lian li that can handle cards longer than yours.

Try google with your case & card & length.
m
l
a c 274 ) Power supply
December 1, 2011 11:21:28 PM

DannyITR said:
Hi all,

I bought an Antec P183 for my current build and to my surprise I wasn't able to fit 1 XFX Radeon HD 5870 in it without cutting a part of the card off. I though that a full tower meant more space. I saw some people in other threads with mid towers and running cards in crossfire and I wondered how it could be. My case is so tight that there would be no way for me to fit in another card like I have, (and it's a full tower!!)

Does full tower mean just more bays? How can I be sure that the next case I buy will fit a pair of Radeon 6970s?

The P183 is a mid tower case.
Pull out the top hdd cage and cards up to 15.5" fit.
http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=MTgwOA==
m
l
!