Sign in with
Your question

580 GTX for $390 = New gaming rig for me!! Some questions though.

Last response: in Systems
September 2, 2011 12:19:18 AM

Hey guys,
So some of you might be familiar with my last thread where I was helped in putting together a gaming rig for $1500 before tax. While this price has jumped I have recieved a couple of pretty good deals that made me jump and make the buy today. Tell me what you think! Keeping in mind I am very open minded to returning anything listed; I mainly bought this today because the SSD, mobo and GFX card alone were $130 cheaper than retail price. So be honest, be blunt, because this can all go back free of charge and little hassle!

Rig will be primarily used for gaming and watching HD video. It will be used to capture and encode video from time to time. Even more occasionally than that I will find myself in Photoshop or using programs like AutoCAD; bi monthly or so.
- All figures are in CAD, before tax, bought in store so no shipping. All products link to NewEgg; actually purchased at Canada Computers for price listed.

CPU - $315.99 - Intel i7-2600k
MOBO - $194.44 - ASUS P8Z68 V-Pro
GPU - $389.99 - Zotac Geforce GTX 580 1536MB
PS - $135.99 - Corsair TX850M (Modulated 850W)
SSD - $239.99 - Intel 510 120GB MLC (SC2MH120A2)
HDD - $59.99 - Samsung Spinpoint HE103SJ 1TB 7200RPM
CASE - $89.99 - Cooler Master HAF 922 Mid-Tower
COOL - $26.99 - Cooler Master Hyper 212 CPU Cooler
RAM - $48.99 - G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB DDR3 1600mhz
DVD - $24.99 - Generic ASUS DVDRWe that every single person has thus requiring no link :kaola: 
WIFI - $24.99 - ASUS PCE-N13

= $1571 CAD + 13% sales tax (Canadian government CROOKS!)

1) What do you guys think of the price? Obviously the GPU is a steal, but in terms of the other items. Should I expect any of this stuff to drop in price by anything over the next few days since it's labour day up here? How about a more than 10% drop in the next month? I won't be opening anything for a few days so I can return anything for full refund right now.

2) What is the general opinion on that SSD?

Finally, one last question: Something annoying happened when I left the store.
Quote:
When leaving the store m i7-2600k was accidentally dropped on the floor from just below knee height. It didn't plop straight which is good, rolled a bit so the fall wasn't the worst. The box shows no damage and there is nothing that seems wrong with it externally. However consider that I can simply return it and just buy it again from any of the half a dozen stores in my area for the exact same price. The hassle is $0 and maybe 30 minutes of my time. So my question is: Is there a chance that a drop from that height could cause any damage to a boxed 2600k CPU? On one hand I imagine it goes through worse abuse before it even gets on the shelf in that store. On the other hand, if I can return it and it's my main component so why risk it? On my.... third hand... I remember smacking up my laptop pretty bad a few years back when frustrated a few times and the CPU survived; so how bad can a small drop be? Okay I'm wasting colossal amounts of time explaining the same issue here so I'll just shutup now and let you guys tell me what you think I should do :p 

Thanks for your time guys.
September 2, 2011 12:37:57 AM

HI Mate
Since the pins have been relocated to the MB rather then the CPU, and the CPU is snugly packed into a plastic conatainer, it is highly unlikely to have any damage. Nice system. I'll throw it out before anyone else does, what about the I5? I bought the same CPU as you tho and love it. GPU is a steal! If your ever planning on triple SLI/XFIRE, you need to get the Asrock/Gigabyte MB as the the ASUS throttles the 3rd PCI as it shares bandwith with some sata ports (somebody correct me if I'm mistaken)
m
l
September 2, 2011 12:45:16 AM

Hey, check out my rigs if you'd like... but my main one is quite similar to that (cpu, mobo, 580, ssd). I'm quite happy with it - and you'll love yours too I'm sure.

1) As for the price, it's okay but nothing special. You could probably save a little bit of cash ordering stuff online (NCIX.com in Canada + pricematch is great), but I probably wouldn't bother if I had already bought everything. In Sask. I just have to pay PST (5%) as well on stuff that I buy if I order online...

2) I have that SSD, and have used a pile of others myself and in builds. Although it doesn't have impressive read/write speed compared to some newer ones, and even though it gets a lower rating on the most important benchmark in the world - the Windows Experience Index, I still like it. It seems snappier than my Vertex 2 and new Mushkin Chronos SSD. At the same time, I would not pay $240 for it. If you are dealing with super important data then go for it, otherwise pick up something like these for less:
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=61051&vpn=AGT3-2...
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=59354&vpn=VTX3-2...

The Vertex 3 in particular should kick the 510's butt, and is a bit cheaper even. Keep the Intel if you don't have good deals on other drives nearby and are too lazy to order something online though. It's a nice drive.

And last but not least, don't worry about your processor IMO. Just don't drop hard drives...
m
l
Related resources
September 2, 2011 3:09:02 AM

legalis said:
HI Mate
Since the pins have been relocated to the MB rather then the CPU, and the CPU is snugly packed into a plastic conatainer, it is highly unlikely to have any damage. Nice system. I'll throw it out before anyone else does, what about the I5? I bought the same CPU as you tho and love it. GPU is a steal! If your ever planning on triple SLI/XFIRE, you need to get the Asrock/Gigabyte MB as the the ASUS throttles the 3rd PCI as it shares bandwith with some sata ports (somebody correct me if I'm mistaken)
One thing I will be doing a lot of is capturing in-game video from games, GTA 4 specifically. Both the game and the capture and then encode process can benefit from HT. I also believe games of the future will consider how to incorporate HT so it improves performance. It's a gamble, I was originally going with an I5 and a 570 GTX but the extra $180 it'll cost isn't such a biggie to me.

No triple SLI for me, I'll likely add another 580 or a 590 in 12-16 months. I'm a fan of new architecture so I can't see myself wanting this 580 GTX in my computer when we're onto 780 GTX : :sol:  .

Should the CPU box be making any loose part sounds when moving it around or turning it?Not to say that little fall caused that but I am hearing some loose parts sounds, some of the other CPUs there were in sketchy condition so just wondering.
m
l
September 2, 2011 3:44:13 AM

jasonw223 said:
Hey, check out my rigs if you'd like... but my main one is quite similar to that (cpu, mobo, 580, ssd). I'm quite happy with it - and you'll love yours too I'm sure.

1) As for the price, it's okay but nothing special. You could probably save a little bit of cash ordering stuff online (NCIX.com in Canada + pricematch is great), but I probably wouldn't bother if I had already bought everything. In Sask. I just have to pay PST (5%) as well on stuff that I buy if I order online...

2) I have that SSD, and have used a pile of others myself and in builds. Although it doesn't have impressive read/write speed compared to some newer ones, and even though it gets a lower rating on the most important benchmark in the world - the Windows Experience Index, I still like it. It seems snappier than my Vertex 2 and new Mushkin Chronos SSD. At the same time, I would not pay $240 for it. If you are dealing with super important data then go for it, otherwise pick up something like these for less:
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=61051&vpn=AGT3-2...
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=59354&vpn=VTX3-2...

The Vertex 3 in particular should kick the 510's butt, and is a bit cheaper even. Keep the Intel if you don't have good deals on other drives nearby and are too lazy to order something online though. It's a nice drive.

And last but not least, don't worry about your processor IMO. Just don't drop hard drives...
1) Yep you are right, I originally had them all online and was saving about $20-$40 that way. Not enough to sway me, they have a 7 day price match on their products and a 14 day in-store return. I'm highly considering not building it for a few days and watching what happens with the market.

2) I was originally going with the Crucial M4 128gb. I've heard the OCZ is very hit and miss, lots of DOA and low life spans. However the Intel benchmarked higher on a few sites I checked out and seems to be more reliable by user reviews. Would you say I should save the $30 and get the M4?
m
l
September 2, 2011 6:42:15 AM

markc9 said:
One thing I will be doing a lot of is capturing in-game video from games, GTA 4 specifically. Both the game and the capture and then encode process can benefit from HT. I also believe games of the future will consider how to incorporate HT so it improves performance. It's a gamble, I was originally going with an I5 and a 570 GTX but the extra $180 it'll cost isn't such a biggie to me.

No triple SLI for me, I'll likely add another 580 or a 590 in 12-16 months. I'm a fan of new architecture so I can't see myself wanting this 580 GTX in my computer when we're onto 780 GTX : :sol:  .

Should the CPU box be making any loose part sounds when moving it around or turning it?Not to say that little fall caused that but I am hearing some loose parts sounds, some of the other CPUs there were in sketchy condition so just wondering.

The loose parts sounds will be the sounds of the Stock cooler thats in the box mate, its little plastic locks make those sounds
m
l
September 2, 2011 5:29:56 PM

intimate said:
my friend we are at the same boat.. i almost have the same budget with you. Also live in Canada, To.

check out my build, maybe it will help...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/319776-31-1800-gaming...

i checked the gtx 580 from Canadas computer, it gives me 439.99 $.. i guess im unluky :) 
Unfortunately the mail-in rebate expired yesterday; with a receipt showing the product was purchased between Aug 3 - Sept 1, they (Zotac) will give you $50 back. That is still a pretty good price though, $440.

Our systems are so similar eh? You're probably making the right choice with the i5 too. I'm too obsessive a person, the $100 extra for the i7 isn't to much for the peace of mind in not constantly thinking, "Would THIS benefit with HT? Wait, how about THIS? Should I have.... OOOHHHG RRRADSAKDJAKSDJLAKSDlsk". Although I should add, if you are using this for things like video editing, photoshop, even in-game capturing... you might find the i7 helps already (and will even more so as the years pass).

May I ask: Why the 1000W? I am planning on adding in another 580 or 590 gtx at some point;

GENERAL QUESTION TO ALL: Is 850W is too little for this system with dual SLI?
m
l
September 2, 2011 5:35:01 PM

legalis said:
The loose parts sounds will be the sounds of the Stock cooler thats in the box mate, its little plastic locks make those sounds
Thanks, considering what happens when people get this shipped from places like Amazon I'm starting to think there's no need to worry. I also noticed Intel literally wedges thin cardboard between many places just to make sure if stuff does fall, the two pieces don't collide and damage one another.
m
l
September 2, 2011 6:09:47 PM

markc9 said:

For your current setup 850 is enough, however with SLI its kinda greyish. The safe choice would be to go with 1000W

The reason I say this is Guru3D shows that SLI 580s can consume up to 719 watts of power and most PSU only have around 80% efficiency...

So

850 x .2 = 170

850 - 170 = 680

719 < 680 = FALSE

aka id go bigger for safety reasons.. hope this helps
m
l
September 3, 2011 12:49:51 AM

cgleckman said:
For your current setup 850 is enough, however with SLI its kinda greyish. The safe choice would be to go with 1000W

The reason I say this is Guru3D shows that SLI 580s can consume up to 719 watts of power and most PSU only have around 80% efficiency...

So

850 x .2 = 170

850 - 170 = 680

719 < 680 = FALSE

aka id go bigger for safety reasons.. hope this helps
Thanks. Do you happen to know if this power supply is being discontinued for a new one? I've seen it on sale everywhere and some stores have it in "clearance".
m
l
September 3, 2011 12:51:57 AM

ram should drop down 25% in the next couple months
m
l
September 3, 2011 2:35:19 AM

markc9 said:
Thanks. Do you happen to know if this power supply is being discontinued for a new one? I've seen it on sale everywhere and some stores have it in "clearance".

I am not sure if its being discontinued but judging by the reviews its a pretty decent PSU.
m
l
September 3, 2011 8:07:14 AM

madchemist83 said:
ram should drop down 25% in the next couple months
Price matched it to $48.99 today :) 
m
l
September 3, 2011 8:35:20 AM

markc9 said:
Unfortunately the mail-in rebate expired yesterday; with a receipt showing the product was purchased between Aug 3 - Sept 1, they (Zotac) will give you $50 back. That is still a pretty good price though, $440.

Our systems are so similar eh? You're probably making the right choice with the i5 too. I'm too obsessive a person, the $100 extra for the i7 isn't to much for the peace of mind in not constantly thinking, "Would THIS benefit with HT? Wait, how about THIS? Should I have.... OOOHHHG RRRADSAKDJAKSDJLAKSDlsk". Although I should add, if you are using this for things like video editing, photoshop, even in-game capturing... you might find the i7 helps already (and will even more so as the years pass).

May I ask: Why the 1000W? I am planning on adding in another 580 or 590 gtx at some point;

yeah our systems are so similar :)  well i was going with 1000W Cooler master however community here changed my mind :)  I still did not decide tho. Reviews are so trustable but the community here says Cooler Master for PSU is not trustable. Maybe i'll go with this: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681... (it has very good reviews in Tomshardware)

I want to make sli 580s too later on, but not sure with the psu yet :)  Let me know when you decide.. Also let me know with the good deals :p 
m
l
September 3, 2011 8:09:55 PM

I have heard good things about Crucial M4 SSD
m
l
September 5, 2011 7:45:31 AM

Alright so I actually did go and buy that Cooler Master 1000W PSU but gonna return it. I've decided on getting a Corsair TX950W which should do the job. I've found it for $160. ANything I should know about this PSU? I know it's non-modular, HAF922 can handle it
m
l
September 5, 2011 7:55:06 AM

markc9 said:
Alright so I actually did go and buy that Cooler Master 1000W PSU but gonna return it. I've decided on getting a Corsair TX950W which should do the job. I've found it for $160. ANything I should know about this PSU? I know it's non-modular, HAF922 can handle it

Not that I know of, its a good PSU and will serve your needs well

m
l
!