Which is better for my situation? AMD or Intel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocknrollz

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
I wanted to choose the best possible performance MB and CPU, I am willing to spend around 150 for BOTH CPU and MB. For my price rangem would I get better performance by choosing Intel or AMD?

Solution
for what purpose? gaming? Since your current motherboard supports AMD processors, just get the fastest phenom II x4 you can afford if its for gaming. If your using it for multithreaded apps, look at the phenom II 6 core varieties.

Houndsteeth

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
What denomination of currency are you talking about for your budget? To be honest, when it comes to price vs. performance, Intel has a very hard time matching AMD for anything less than $250 for both the CPU and MB combined.

There are folks on this board who will advise you that anything less than a i5 2500K is not worth it, but you will spend $200 on a i5 2500K alone. For that price, you can get a Phenom II 955 and an AM3 mainboard, while you would still have to spend about $100 more on the i5 to buy a mainboard. Granted, you get about 35-40% improved performance, but you pay for it.

rocknrollz

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
My siggy is actully something I have my eye on getting soon. But new things are coming out and I just want to start fresh.

My purpose will be this in most important first and least last:

Web Browsing, Watching HD Movies, Light Gaming, Light 3D application

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS