Top-End to Near Top-End MoBo (Gaming)

jonclimbs247

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
I'm writing to ask the forums about ideas regarding a top-end or near top-end motherboard that will last me quite a while. I'm building my first PC, for gaming mostly, maybe a little bit of video/photo editing but gaming mainly. I know there are a lot out there and I've researched quite a few. Is there any way I can narrow it down? The price range I'm looking at is 150-300 or so, MAAYBE going higher depending on whether I can get more out of it in the future, so upgradability is key. Also, in conjunction with unpicked higher-mid-tier-mobo, which CPU would work best with it? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. I would like to get them very soon. I have this already:

1 x ($114.99) Corsair Carbide Series 500R Black Steel structure with molded ABS plastic accent pieces ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
$114.99

1 x ($57.99) CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A2133C11B
$57.99

Delivery estimate: Sept. 11, 2012
1 "Corsair CX Series CX750 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Power Supply CP-9020015-NA"
Personal Computers; $86.00
In Stock
Sold by: Amazon.com
1 "Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R2)"
Personal Computers; $32.08
In Stock

and a GeForce GTX 580 from a while back that I have not had a chance to use. I would like to replace those with 670's SLI'd in the future, or at least the 660 Ti's. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, It's my first one so I don't know much.

I think I'd prefer ASUS I guess because of the ease of installation, and Intel just because that's what I've used all my life.

I was also thinking to overclock in the future. I'm not entirely sure what that is yet, but I want the full potential out of the CPU I'd be getting.

Solution
There's no reason not to go with a nice, cheap SLI mobo like the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 or the Gigabyte Z77X-D3H. A more expensive motherboard would get you a couple of hundred mhz more on your maximum overclock, probably, but I don't think that's worth the extra money.
There's no reason not to go with a nice, cheap SLI mobo like the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 or the Gigabyte Z77X-D3H. A more expensive motherboard would get you a couple of hundred mhz more on your maximum overclock, probably, but I don't think that's worth the extra money.

Solution