Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrading motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
September 7, 2012 8:14:49 PM

I was wondering if i could put an am3+ motherboard in my dell optiplex 745 desktop, and take out the dell stock motherboard? I want to put an amd eight core processor in my computer but the dell socket for cpu is lga 775. Please help and comment and tell me if i can.

More about : upgrading motherboard

Best solution

a c 216 V Motherboard
September 7, 2012 9:18:34 PM

The Dell OptiPlex 745 Desktop uses the obsolete and discontinued BTX form factor (i.e. Intel cancelled all BTX product development in September 2006).

An ATX form factor motherboard will not fit in the Dell OptiPlex 745 Desktop's case. Then there's the old BTX power supply that won't support the new ATX motherboard.

So the answer is a big NO.
September 7, 2012 9:33:00 PM

well if i got a new case and transfered the hardware and got a better power supply will i be able to then
m
l
Related resources
a c 125 V Motherboard
September 7, 2012 9:37:28 PM

If you get a new case, you can try and salvage as much as you can from the old system, but it won't be much.
m
l
September 7, 2012 9:51:29 PM

can i transfer my dell component that are in my system in to a mid tower case as it is right now, or do i need a bigger motherboard
m
l
September 7, 2012 9:52:05 PM

Best answer selected by samander95.
m
l
a c 216 V Motherboard
September 7, 2012 10:18:21 PM

samander95 said:
can i transfer my dell component that are in my system in to a mid tower case as it is right now, or do i need a bigger motherboard

Any new mid-tower case you buy will have an ATX form factor so the current BTX motherboard will not be able to be mounted into that case because the expansion slots and rear panel I/O connectors on the BTX motherboard are not in the same location as for the ATX form factor. The BTX power supply won't mount properly either.
m
l
September 7, 2012 11:09:24 PM

damn, well thanks for all the help before i blew a bunch of money i guess i will just have to buy it all at once then
m
l
a c 216 V Motherboard
September 7, 2012 11:19:58 PM

samander95 said:
damn, well thanks for all the help before i blew a bunch of money i guess i will just have to buy it all at once then

You're essentially building a completely new system anyway so it's best to wait until you can afford all of the components to do it properly.
m
l
!