Sign in with
Your question

Need best AM2+ CPU

Last response: in CPUs
December 1, 2011 7:53:46 PM

I've been looking to replace my CPU which right now is an AMD Phenom I X4 9750
It does it's job I just feel like I could find something more powerful for gaming. I only really play MMOs

My motherboard is an ASUS narra3
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01...

I've been looking really hard for the right one and the best I came across it seems was the Phenom II x4 945. But it's not manufactured anymore and I can't find anywhere that has one for sale for less than $150
Looking for possibly the best AM2+ or AM3 @ 95w

Budget I have is about $150, any suggestions?

More about : am2 cpu

December 1, 2011 8:20:48 PM

BeautifulChild1 said:
I've been looking to replace my CPU which right now is an AMD Phenom I X4 9750
It does it's job I just feel like I could find something more powerful for gaming. I only really play MMOs

My motherboard is an ASUS narra3
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01...

I've been looking really hard for the right one and the best I came across it seems was the Phenom II x4 945. But it's not manufactured anymore and I can't find anywhere that has one for sale for less than $150
Looking for possibly the best AM2+ or AM3 @ 95w

Budget I have is about $150, any suggestions?

Newegg has several AMD under $150. There aren't really anymore AM2+
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 113 à CPUs
December 1, 2011 8:37:22 PM

The info is available at the link that you provided.

Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades: Phenom with Quad Core (Agena) technology (AM2+) up to 9600 (up to 95 watt)
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 1, 2011 8:39:40 PM

Hi, a great upgrade would be a quad-core phenom II 840 as they are pretty cheap and fairly powerful. It is also under your 95W limit. There are a few forums with people using this CPU on your board, I also use a phenom II on a AM2+ board and it works great.

Page on HP has not been updated in a while... or CPU may not "officially" be supported but any Phenom II 95W or less will work for you.

From AMD Site... " Please note that Socket AM2+ Phenom II processors cannot be used on socket AM3 motherboards. The socket itself is different and forcing installation of these processors on Socket AM3 motherboards will cause irreversible damage to the processor, and possibly the socket on your motherboard.

Although Socket AM3 processors can be used on Socket AM2+ motherboards, the opposite is not possible. "
m
l
December 1, 2011 9:00:26 PM

Yea I was just stubbled upon the 840 today and hadn't got much time to check reviews for it while at school/work, It's probably my best bet so far as it is pretty cheap and I could use the extra money on better cooling and could OC it.
m
l
!