Handling a video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

imperial7

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
hello
I have a PC with a graphics card xfx nvidia 9400GT, and I want to replace it with an ATI 5770 (xfx) in various forums said he had to wear an antistatic wrist strap to avoid damaging the video card when removing it!
then my question is:
where should I connect the antistatic wristband?
can be connected to the chassis of the computer?
with the power on or off??
I need specific information on how I use the strap to avoid damage to the video card!
thanks

Solution
You press the switch once to turn it on and dissipate the residual power, then again so the PC is effectives off again for when you restart it.
The on board graphics drivers would be included in the motherboard drivers so should already be fitted. Either the on board will activate when the card is removed or you will need to activate it from within the bios.

Mactronix :)
I have never used one and have never had an issue but.

1. Turn off and unplug the computer.
2. Press the on switch on the pc to dissipate any residual power then press again so its back in the off state.
3. Open PC and evaluate what you are doing, do you need to move any cables, its always good to just check and plan any job. For instance you will want a screwdriver to remove the retention screw the card should be secured with on the top edge.
4. Once you are happy you have all tools etc and have laid out the new card ready to go in then clip on the wrist strap to the chassis. Its a pain to have to un clip yourself because you forgot something.
5 DONT touch any of the connectors, the gold bits on the bottom. I hold cards by the bracket and the power connection plugs.

I assume you ok with the software un install procedure (Drivers) that should be done prior to this stage ?

imperial7

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010

You press the switch once to turn it on and dissipate the residual power, then again so the PC is effectives off again for when you restart it.
The on board graphics drivers would be included in the motherboard drivers so should already be fitted. Either the on board will activate when the card is removed or you will need to activate it from within the bios.

Solution

imperial7

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010

thanks a lot
was very helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies.