Hello, recently my wireless has been extremely spikey. When using wireless i tried to ping www.google.com in cmd and left it for 5 minutes. The average was 300 with the max being 3000 and the lowest being 45. This makes all online gaming and VOIP services unusable. I have narrowed it down to wireless as it is a constant 45ms when wired.
Wireless is usually about half the speed of wired even with good wireless reception. You should try to optimise your reception and avoid interference.
1) raise the router above furniture level
2) Experiment with channels (some will work better or worse depending on your environment)
3) If you can detect strong neighbouring wifi, use a channel 5 stops away from strongest.
4) Relocate cordless phone base or video sender etc.
5) Be prepared to move the computer (or at least turn it so your body is not between the router signal and the wireless adapter's antenna.
I tried changing to a few different channels and found that 3 and 5 are better then 11, it doesn't eliminate the problem. I thought it may have been a distance problem but it occurs even when the computer is right next to the router.
It is a Linksys wag160n if that makes any difference.