nippondrifterae111

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
For my computer, I currently have Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) (Dual Channel) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104141

and want to get 4GB more of the same memory for my computer. I found the same same size, style and company memory and it's also a Dual Channel Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104223

My only concern is the timing on the memory I'm looking to buy is different from what's already in my computer. With the current 4GB of memory, the timing is 8-8-8-24. The newer memory I'm looking to buy is 9-9-9-27. Will adding this dual channel to my existing dual channel be ok or will it cause problems?

My motherboard is a Biostar T Series with 4 memory slots. Thanks

Solution
There is always a potential possibility. even if you got matching ram. Heck there is a potential for a defect just with just with plain new matched ram.
But, the more different the ram is, the greater the possibility (even if it's a smaller possibility).

how do you know there is a problem:

You can run a memory testing program like memtest or burn in such as prime95.
if you get errors that the program detects, or your computer bluescreens/crashes/freezes then you have a problem.

Or just use your computer and if it isn't behaving right, then you know there's a problem

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
usually no it won't be a problem; you can set it to run at whatever ram is the slower speed/timings.
but a small possibility of a potential yes, mismatched ram won't work together.

That being said, ram is really cheap these days. You can consider
1) rolling the dice and see what happens.
2) looking for the exact matching ram on EBAY or other source if it's not in stock anymore.
3) just throwing out your old ram (or selling it) and getting a new set of ram for maybe just a few $ more (2x4gb or 4x2gb depending what your mobo supports)...

nippondrifterae111

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012

So even though it's the same company ram, same speed and same amount of 4GB DDR3, and also a dual channel as my other ram is, there is a the potential possibility it can faulter due to the timing being different, eh. How will I know if there is a problem if I were to add in the new ram with the old ram?

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
There is always a potential possibility. even if you got matching ram. Heck there is a potential for a defect just with just with plain new matched ram.
But, the more different the ram is, the greater the possibility (even if it's a smaller possibility).

how do you know there is a problem:

You can run a memory testing program like memtest or burn in such as prime95.
if you get errors that the program detects, or your computer bluescreens/crashes/freezes then you have a problem.

Or just use your computer and if it isn't behaving right, then you know there's a problem

Solution

nippondrifterae111

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012

Thanks a lot of your help and input. I'll roll the dice and see what happens since there is a sale and I want to take advantage of it.

nippondrifterae111

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012

Thanks for the info. I called my friend who help put my computer together and called Kingston, too, for additional info as well and everything came to the same response so it definitely helps when I get similar responses to make my decision. I ordered the new memory and will be getting it soon and then I will be in install mode.