Still no POST... Bad CPU?

jessiah331

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
Started thread here, but got no straight answers.

Intel i5 660
Intel DP55WB Mobo
Thermaltake CPU Cooler (Using the stock Intel right now for testing purposes)
G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3 8GB RAM
Asus GT440 Video Card
WD Caviar Blue 1 TB
Samsung Disc Drive
OCZ ModXStream 700W PSU

Developments from the last thread are that I RMA'd the RAM, Mobo, and PSU, because I thought it'd have to be one of those.

Still getting the same problem (answers to the FAQ are in old thread linked above, and YES I did breadboard it first!)

Problem:
Hooked all up on a bench. When the PSU is switched on the system instantly powers up (fans, drives) but no POST codes (exception below). Removed ALL but CPU and CPU Fan. Disconnected everything from mobo as well. When PSU switched on system powers up, gives three long beeps (RAM/Memory error).

Added one stick of RAM next, didn't get any POST codes. Tried in all 4 RAM slots, still no POST. (also tried with 2 different sticks). Removed RAM, reset CMOS. Still same.

Diagnosis?
I think that the CPU may be bad. Although I shouldn't get a POST code (without RAM) if the CPU is bad, should I? At this point I've tried 2 video cards, 2 motherboards, 4 sticks of RAM, and 2 CPU fans... Am I just unlucky!?

jessiah331

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010

Exactly. Without even being wired up to the case/front panel. As soon as the switch on the PSU is on, the system powers up (fans, HDD, Disc drive, etc.) Still does this with JUST a CPU, HSF, and RAM.