Optimal Screen Resolution

amberx

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
Hi there,

I recently bought a Samsung RF511 Laptop.

Sometimes when I plug my external monitor in I get limited options for screen resolution, namely 1360 x 768, 1280 x 768, 1280 x 720, 1280 x 600, 1024 x 768 and 800 x 600.

There is a button on the side of my monitor that adjusts the position of the screen when the resolution is changed and it also displays a message saying that the optimal display is 1440 x 900. Sometimes when I connect the monitor this option is available along with many more and it defaults to this setting.

What I want to know is what do I need to do to always see this full list of available resolutions so I can always have the monitor set to the optimal resolution?

I appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Thanks,
Amber

randomkid

Distinguished
Is this your laptop?
Windows® 7 Home Premium - 64-bit operating system, Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM Sandy Bridge processor 2.0GHz - 4 cores with Intel® Turbo Boost up to 2.9GHz, 45W, 6MB Smart Cache, Nvidia® GeForce® GT 540M 1GB video graphics, 640GB 5400rpm hard drive, 6GB DDR3 1333 SDRAM (1 x 2GB and 1 x 4GB), 15.6" HD 1366×768 resolution LED backlit screen, Bluetooth, Web Camera, numeric keyboard, HDMI port, 2 x USB 3.0 port, 2 x USB 2.0 ports, Wireless, 4-in-1 card reader, Gigabit Ethernet, Dual Layer DVD+/-R/W drive

And what is your monitor brand & model, please?

amberx

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

Yes, this is my laptop. The monitor is LG Flatron Wide 19"

randomkid

Distinguished
What are the inputs available for your LG? I can see that your laptop has HDMI. Does it have VGA? If yes, try to use the VGA connection between the laptop & the monitor. It is more suitable for lower resolution.

amberx

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
It's connected using the VGA cable.

The cable is not the problem though. Sometimes I have limited resolution options and other times I have more options and the system automatically configures to the best resolution. The problem is I don't know when or how this happens to be able to control it myself so at times I am stuck with large and slightly fuzzy icons which is not ideal.

randomkid

Distinguished
I have experience exactly like this and in my case, I can not configure my monitor to 1920x1080.
For my case, the problem was with the cable itself. If you have other VGA cable, try it.

Another possible option is update your video card driver.

amberx

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

I tried removing the cable and plugging in again to see if this would sort it but it didn't.

I would have thought the video card drivers are up to date as I only bought the computer a few weeks ago.

I'll keep trying things and if I figure it out will post here in case it helps someone else.